Existing Member?

Kimberley Adventure

Ruby Plains Homestead July 6-7

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 7 July 2010 | Views [1387] | Comments [2]

After final goodbyes to Sar and family we parted company and headed towards Halls Creek via Ruby Plains Station – the cattle station that Nick works on.  The bad weather from Broome extended south east and eventually caught up with us so by the time we arrived at the station it was pouring.  We enjoyed the wonderful hospitality of Nick and all at Ruby Plains who put us up for the night in the visitors quarters saving us the drudgery of camping (and cooking) in the rain.  It is the first time in 9 weeks we have slept with a solid roof over our heads in cosy beds and it was blissful to listen to the pouring rain knowing there wasn’t a soggy tent to pack up in the morning.

The rain lasted all night and we woke up to more steady rain.  Our plan today was to drive to the Wolfe Creek Crater and then to Balgo to view the aboriginal art centre and their famous art.  We began the drive but unfortunately had to turn back after about 20 kms as the road had deteriorated overnight with all the rain and was treacherous.  We were sliding from one side of the road to the other and large parts of the track were underwater. 

Old Merv from the station who has been here for over 26 years said he had never seen rain like this at this time of the year.  It is hard to believe we are in the Kimberley in the middle of the dry season on the edge of the Tanami Desert and it has been pouring with rain for over 24 hours!!  Unfortunately we may have to abort this part of our trip as the road will probably remain closed for the next few days (on the to-do list for next time).

Oliver and Sienna are making good use of the time here with the local kids who live at the station and willingly went to “school” with them this morning.  That increased the school population to 5!!!  The school, a small demountable nearby the visitors quarters, is well set up with books, posters, computers and art materials galore.  The governess Jenny is responsible for teaching the children (she says they all get a bit slack sometimes!!!) and they follow the WA Curriculum and also tune in daily and participate in half hour lessons with the Kimberley School of the Air. 

We are hoping the rain which is due to stop tonight does not force too much of a change in our itinerary as we need to be in Kununurra by the end of the week to allow sufficient time to get home (and hopefully catch up with the Williams/Calloway clan).  In the meantime we will enjoy being fed (they have a wonderful cook!!!) and sheltered by the lovely crew at Ruby Plains Station. 

PS.  We hope Sar and Graeme and Daisy have miraculously missed this weather front and are dry and safe and happy!

Comments

1

Hi all!
Enjoying your entertaining adventures. It’s great to hear you’ve been able to extend your trip- though we are missing you. The landscapes, flora and sunsets on that side of Australia just blow me away however your experiences at the yee-ha rodeo and staying on a station are priceless for the kids and a hoot for everyone else - especially attending a very remote school! It’s a grand inspiration – perhaps omitting the rain that’s tracking all Shorncliffe travellers over and up there. Hope the weather behaves for the rest of your travels. Wishes of continuing unique experiences, carefree, joyful family times and safe journeys. PS Would you like us to arrange a charitable footwear collection upon your homecoming?
Love Terri & the remaining Horner-Neals X

  Terri Horner Jul 8, 2010 8:11 AM

2

Thanks Terri - charitable footwear collection much appreciated on our return!!!
Re: nudey photo - the photographer was in the nuddy too but happy to not be in the picture!!!
Hope you are all well and so looking forward to catching up with you all.
XXXXX

  fops Jul 8, 2010 11:36 AM

About fops


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.