Existing Member?

Kimberley Adventure

Broome to the Dampier Peninsula and back again!

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 2 July 2010 | Views [547] | Comments [2]

We arrived in Broome and finally caught up with our travel companions - car troubles all fixed 2 days later.  We spent a couple of days doing chores as one is compelled to do at a caravan park with all the facilities (ie. wash clothes, sweep tent, buy groceries etc - ugh, feels like home!!).  Broome is an interesting town - frontier feeling with a good dose of tourism added.  Cable Beach provided the setting for an evening dinner watching the sun setting (and dodging a very fast rising tide and trains of camels!!).

The next 7 days were spent exploring the Dampier Peninsula north of Broome.  We camped for 3 days at a very idyllic and tropical beach shelter at Middle Lagoon and were as happy as pigs in mud, swimming, shell collecting, cooking on the open fire and watching the kids completely carefree and happy.  This was one of the hardest spots to leave but another booking in the shelter moved us on.  We moved to Bully's camp about 40 kms further north - hmm quite a contrast to the previous camp site but the bountiful supply of oysters fresh off the beach and easy access to Cape Leveque ensured a pleasant stay.  The waters in this area are so clear and warm it really is hard to believe this is the middle of winter further south. We had gorgeous weather except for a very windy night which left every corner and crevice covered in fine white sand - grit galore!!!! 

Paul and Ol went on a mud crabbing tour run by the local aboriginal community and came back to camp with 2 huge crabs which we cooked on the hot coals and ate for dinner that night.

We are now back in Broome re-stocking and getting some new bearings on the car.  Tomorrow we leave for Fitzroy Crossing and will partake in the event of the year - The Rodeo.  Yeehaa that should be fun!!

From there it will be along Highway Numero Uno to Halls Gap, south along the Tanami Desert Road to Balgo via the Wolf Creek Crater and then head home (only 15 days of our adventure to go - soooooo sad :(

Thanks for all your comments and to continue with the shoe mishap theme - Sienna has lost one of her school shoes, her thongs have been chewed up by a dog and Olivers shoe melted in the fire.  All other shoes are holding up reasonably well!!

Love to you all.

XXXXX

 

Comments

1

Sounds like bliss! Except for the fine white sand. You're heading to my work's project which is near Fitzroy Crossing. No doubt a few of our guys will be there. Have fun & we'll see you back in freezing Brisbane soon!

  Emily G Jul 3, 2010 6:52 PM

2

Thanks Emily! Fitzroy Crossing Rodeo was lots of eye-opening fun!! Is this where your guys are? Don't tell me it was the one with the cowboy hat on coz there were a heap of those!!!

  fops Jul 7, 2010 7:53 PM

About fops


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.