Existing Member?

Journey to taste the world

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [847] | Comments [18] | Scholarship Entry

It felt like in the middle of a war zone as a part in breaking the world record for “The Most People Scuba Diving Simultaneously” on 17 August 2009. Organized by Indonesian Navy on our country 64th National Day celebration, we successfully broke the record with 2.486 divers involved. Held in Malalayang Beach, Manado, South Sulawesi, it was an once-in-a-lifetime adventure for every body, particularly me.

This trip was my coming back to diving after two years off. Nervous at first, thrilled at the end. We performed the national day ceremony underwater. Divided into groups of about 30, all participants entered the beach and swam backwards to the descending point, simultaneously. Then we were assigned to descend to a depth of 15 meters. Surely, it was an unusual descending, with hundreds pair of fins flapping at your sight from all side.

In the deep, we did salutation to our national flag. And even heard the national song played by the marching band at the main stage in the beach.

The surfacing was a stunning moment. As we saw thousands heads at the sea level, all Navy warships honks their horn, and salutation announced from the main stage. Moreover, hundreds local residents waited for us on the beach, as if we were the naval troops who just win a big battle under the sea.

And the glory of the day had just begun. Thereafter, apart from the Navy’s event, me and my diving club buddies rent a boat to continue our trip to another diving points, Molas Wreck and Lekuan Satu. As a part of Bunaken National Marine Park, these places are included as best dive sites for its high level of biodiversity. And what we saw proof these claims.

Molas Wreck was a Cargo ship sank on about 1942, located at 30-38 meters below the surface. We could see everything clearly with 10-15 meters visibility. More than Mantis Shrimps, Blue Ribbon Eel, Clown Sweet Lips, Blue Starfish and schooling of smaller fish were welcoming us in the quiet world. When almost nothing than our own breath bubbles could be heard, our eyes were pampered by amazingly beautiful scenes.

On the surface, right after, Indonesia’s traditional meals known as Nasi Kuning were ready to be digested. Wrapped by palm leaves that locally called daun lontar, sprinkled by dried shredded tuna fish, and several exotic local dish, it was spoiled our appetite. Perfect lunch.

Lekuan Satu was our last spot for this surprisingly amazing dive trip. In fact, we got the best closure ever. Colorful corals, Moray Eel, Napoleon fish, Tuna schooling, sea turtle, and many more, interact in a peaceful water world. In some spot, we feel a change of temperature water flow, thermocline, since this area is the meeting point of different sea current, which caused the appearance of high level biodiversity. Moreover, on our way back to the beach, schooling of dolphins was jumping around the boat as if waving goodbye.

Magnificent.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

Comments

1

great article pit :)

  adeline Mar 30, 2011 5:36 PM

2

Thanks so much Del...:) shall we go yo another wonderful place soon? :)

  footsteps Mar 31, 2011 8:57 AM

3

Nice article Pit :). Would love to see some pictures from this trip!

  Astrid Paramita Apr 2, 2011 7:07 AM

4

cool. pictures please

  enci Apr 5, 2011 5:43 AM

5

Will be available soon girls... wait and see..:)

  footsteps Apr 5, 2011 2:30 PM

6

nice article

  ANGGA Apr 5, 2011 6:12 PM

7

incredible honey, you'r my best daughter..

  Dachlan Apr 5, 2011 7:44 PM

8

Pictures please, even though the article itself was very enlightening. Thank you for sharing

  nuki_hk Apr 6, 2011 10:47 AM

9

Good to hear to our experience, again, when breaking the world record in diving industry. Wot a massive diver around carrying the equips entering the beach to the point, descending the depth to celebrate our National Day, with the anthem and salute below of course. Then we popped up to the surface with yelling happy, spirit irregular words out off the divers in hand in hand.........very touching moment! Good luck buddy....

  pongky Apr 13, 2011 10:16 AM

10

I've put some photos in the gallery.. please enjoy..:)

  footsteps Apr 13, 2011 12:49 PM

11

i wish i was there, giving one more diver to be count as record breaking history. Nice story to be read and keep posting good article ya...

  tfcaltino Apr 14, 2011 2:24 PM

12

Nice article :) a bit too elaborate for my portion... Perhaps because I am reading it from my mobile, LOL. Try adding some personal touch and not get too techy with the event rundown and all, I would really like to know about your personal opinion of the event. Great job :)

  Maria Apr 16, 2011 9:18 AM

13

Great article. It also makes me jealous, Mbak Pit. Wish I can dive there one day.

  Syafiq Basri Apr 16, 2011 10:03 AM

14

Nice one

  ildianda Apr 17, 2011 1:28 AM

15

Writing essay[story], is like going in to battle. You need a war plan, Pit. Anyway, I wish you gud luck.

  a_b Apr 20, 2011 11:16 AM

16

Great article... Can't wait for your another travel journal.

  Supat Apr 20, 2011 8:12 PM

17

good writing and nice pics too ! hmm wondering myself diving 15,45 and 90 ft down ? I should start looking for a coach now , book the course , and lets dive and enjoy..maybe a dive-partner ?
* ?

  RAB Apr 21, 2011 3:58 PM

18

Thank for sharing your fantastic experience with us ;)

  napsak Jul 24, 2011 2:05 PM

About footsteps

on the way to Lekuan Tiga dive spot

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.