Existing Member?

Lily's Travels

Don't Eat on the Subway

SINGAPORE | Monday, 28 January 2008 | Views [689]

We divided the rest of our time camping on the beach at Pasir Ris National Park on the Northeast side of Singapore and living comfortably in the dormitory at Sleepy Sam’s. Singapore seems like a good place to live in Asia if you could learn all the rules. It is illegal to chew gum anywhere in the country or eat in the subway. One must pay a hefty fine for smoking in public places, jaywalking or littering – reaching upwards to $1000 Singaporean dollars (or approximately $700 US) for the offences.

Singapore’s strict rules may have influenced the city’s wide sidewalks, readable street signs, drinkable tap water, restaurant regulations, manicured parks, effective transportation and low crime rate. As a backpacker traveling between the park and hostel - the rules seemed reasonable and the announcements were all in English. Singapore even recycles their subway tickets. I just had to wait until my stop to eat my snacks.

Despite the free camping and dormitory living, there was still a shopping mall on every corner and we had stretched our pocketbooks to the max in Singapore. We headed back across the bridge into Malaysia and booked into a room in Kuala Lumpur. We ate Indian food, watched a movie and changed gears from the urban jungle of Singapore to the world’s oldest jungle in Taman Negara National Park.

Tags: Culture

About flower-lily


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.