Existing Member?

Lily's Travels

The Medicine Man

INDONESIA | Tuesday, 1 January 2008 | Views [6246] | Comments [7]

Bea met us in Ubud to celebrate New Year’s Eve. Thanks to Blondy’s lead, we had located the Medicine Man, Ketut Liyer, and arranged transport to his home in the Pengosekan neighborhood. Bea, Ashley and I had all read the novel Eat Pray Love and were eager to meet one of Gilbert’s protagonists in person.

Ketut Liyer’s Balinese home was built in traditional open air fashion. Our transport driver walked with us into the compound and found elderly Ketut finishing up a late afternoon meal. Ketut eyed us curiously and exchanged a few words with our driver before offering his warm one-tooth smile.

Why did we come here? He wanted to know.

I held out my palm to Ketut and he ushered us to the straw mat sitting area where a few Balinese sat chatting. He slowly went inside to freshen up and emerged wearing a few more colorful garments before joining us cross legged on the mat. Ketut spoke in broken English and motioned to the hard copy of Eat Pray Love autographed by Elizabeth Gilbert sitting on his porch.

I think this is how you know me he told us and we guiltily nodded our heads. Ketut thumbed threw the pages and explained how difficult it was for him to understand the book because of the language barrier.

Ketut stared silently into my eyes.  I stared back and wondering what I  was doing sitting on a straw mat in Bali with this wrinkly old Medicine Man on the last day of the year. Then Ketut proceeded to give me his disclaimer: I can only say truth, he told me. If it is bad I say. If it is good I say. Only I say what is true and that might be bad...

You are a very good girl, Ketut began. He inspected my eyes, ears, face, heart, spine and back before focusing his attention on my palm. I would live to be 102 years old. I needed to be less emotional and always honest. Always say the truth. I needed to be more patient. I needed to worry less. I had a good boyfriend…a very nice boy indeed. I probably wouldn’t marry until I was 30 or 31 years old. There was no hurry. I would get married once, but if I wanted to get married again – it would be my choice – and basically not to cry over spilled milk. I would have three children. There were three types of art that I did and if I followed one I would be very successful. I would be rich by the time I was 35 years old. I was smart and above all, a very good girl.

Then Ketut wanted to know: Did I drive a motorbike or car back home? Was I a good driver? I told him I was a good driver but had sold my car to come to Asia. He began tapping my legs looking for the truth. I see you have little accidents. Drive more careful. I felt embarrassed since I had forgotten to mention those fender benders and made a mental note to drive slower if I wanted to live to be 102 years old.

I am very happy to meet you, Ketut told us several times. We must stay in touch he said handing me his little notebook and pen. I wrote him a brief note and left my e-mail address. Do Medicine Men use e-mail?

After listening to my somewhat generic fortunes, neither Ashley nor Bea had their palms read. I paid Ketut $250,000 Rupiah for his palm reading service and thanked him for his time. Maybe I was an easy target seeking out the Medicine Man considering he didn’t speak English well and likely told most Western women the same story of their palms.

See you later Alligator! Ketut called to us as we walked away.

In awhile, Crocodile! I called back, remembering Ketut’s favorite parting expression from Gilbert’s book.

Later that same day...

Escaping from the pouring rain, we spent New Year’s Eve bar hopping around sleepy Ubud and stretching our $10 drink budget successfully into 2008. Midnight transcended upon us with familiar Ben Harper music in the air and I felt ever thankful to be that very good girl on this rainy Balinese night.

Tags: I should have known better!

Comments

1

I can't believe you went to see the medicine man without me!!!

  Mrs. Fox Jan 23, 2008 9:29 AM

2

Ketut Liyer,, the reader or what ever else he calls himself,, my wife also read the book so we droped in with another couple and my wife had a reading which she was so looking forward to. That was all good,, said we would have two kids,, i,m 45, wife 41 ,, wife has had the stuff taken out, so there was way of us having kids,,, ,, also a good driver and all the rest. our friend with us also had a reading , well talk about word for word,, it was such a let down for my wife to hear him come out with the same story, and i felt so bad for her. I,m not kidding word for word. This man Ketut was getting 250,000 rp, about $30 Aus, which as you may know is real good money in bali and all of 15/20,mins. All i can say is dont waste your time, and the ones that go of thinking they have had a one of reading all about them,, mmm, dont hang around to hear the next one. Yes his wittie funny, but it;s all fake ,, just looks the part.

  David Mar 22, 2010 11:58 AM

3

I was there 4 days before you - I had the exact same reading, but it was fun. I bought a painting from him - it is beautiful. Anyway, wish I was there now...so nice Ubud!

  katie Jun 9, 2010 12:52 AM

4

How did you find Ketut's address? I would like to go visit Bali and would love to speak to him!

  Becky Dec 18, 2010 2:54 AM

5

heloo...
nice to read your blogs, im living here in Bali....but just few days ago i want to prove Ketut's reading from all who already there and posting their experience on the internet...and all seem same way...fake..haha...i think he try to grab all money from people with his 'way'

hey ....PLEASE NO MORE KETUT'S VICTIMS, better spend you money for Bintang beers

ciao

  erni Aug 7, 2012 12:29 PM

6

My friend gave me the book for my bday 3 yrs before. One March day 2010, I said I am going to Bali and my friend said she is going too. We did not even know that the book is being made into a movie so on August1, she in Wisconsin and I in Sacramento saw the movie to get familiar with Bali, if only thru Julia Roberts.
Ok... now to Ketut Liyer. My friend and I were told the same thing except for upon reading the back of her neck, she is a gardenia flower and I am a lotus! I was happy I am a lotus flower as the qualities of a lotus have such nice positive ones. Funny, my favorite flower is a gardenia. Oh yes, we stayed at his homestay for 3 nts., $20/nt with breakfast (my friend did not like the local breakfast food) so instead of $30 for the palm-reading, his son Wayan, gave us a discount and no going on queue, instead we were escorted when it was our time.
Do I recommend it?--- I would like to take my Balinese friend to see him next time, would like to know if Ketut will say the same thing whether he can speak the language or not.
I am going next year and I will surely give a comment as to how she fared in Balinese reading.

  princess Jun 20, 2015 8:42 AM

7

My friend gave me the book for my bday 3 yrs before. One March day 2010, I said I am going to Bali and my friend said she is going too. We did not even know that the book is being made into a movie so on August1, she in Wisconsin and I in Sacramento saw the movie to get familiar with Bali, if only thru Julia Roberts.
Ok... now to Ketut Liyer. My friend and I were told the same thing except for upon reading the back of her neck, she is a gardenia flower and I am a lotus! I was happy I am a lotus flower as the qualities of a lotus have such nice positive ones. Funny, my favorite flower is a gardenia. Oh yes, we stayed at his homestay for 3 nts., $20/nt with breakfast (my friend did not like the local breakfast food) so instead of $30 for the palm-reading, his son Wayan, gave us a discount and no going on queue, instead we were escorted when it was our time.
Do I recommend it?--- I would like to take my Balinese friend to see him next time, would like to know if Ketut will say the same thing whether he can speak the language or not.
I am going next year and I will surely give a comment as to how she fared in Balinese reading.

  princess Jun 20, 2015 8:44 AM

About flower-lily


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.