Existing Member?

Lily's Travels

Bing, Blondy & Being Balinese

INDONESIA | Thursday, 27 December 2007 | Views [1711] | Comments [1]

On Christmas day, Lucy departed for the airport while Randy and I rode a minibus several hours inland to the cultural city of Ubud. We booked into a traditional Indonesian accommodation for about six dollars a night including breakfast, clean sheets and a cold shower. We quickly learned that Ubud was no stranger to excellent cuisine – serving up pumpkin raviolis, gnocchi, Balinese coconut crepes, lime flavored aloe vera juice, espresso, vegetarian enchiladas, tofu salads and mango sorbet to name a few. On Christmas night we listened to a Balinese mariachi band and my senses were mixed with Latin infused South East Asian music sprinkled with sweet palm sugar.

We reunited with Ashley in Ubud and moved accommodations to become neighbors. She introduced us to a Balinese-American couple from the San Francisco Bay area she had met in Ubud. While Bing and Stacy were legally married in the States – their marriage was not recognized by Indonesian standards because they didn’t have any children – a main status symbol for Balinese families. Bing had chosen to keep his Indonesian citizenship and therefore had to “sponsor” a cultural visa for his wife to stay on Bali for more than thirty days. They rented a car for the following day and invited us to join them on a trip to the hot springs.

The solidarity of the Balinese was apparent after my day with Bing and Stacy. Not uncommon on Bali, we were quickly stopped by a police road block. All the foreigners had to pay $5000 Indonesian Rupiah (about 50 US cents) for no apparent reason except that we weren’t Balinese. We passed picturesque rice paddies, whole sale shops and a huge lake on the windy drive. Bing brought us to a fancy all-you-can-eat lunch buffet up in the mountains at a restaurant frequented by tourists. When the bill arrived, Bing didn’t have to pay because he was Balinese and had brought our business to the restaurant. At the well developed hot springs - we were charged $10/each for a warm dip including a welcome drink, snack and towel – all except Balinese Bing.

I had many impressions of the Balinese culture I wanted to experience for myself after reading the book, Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, in which the last part of the story takes place on Bali. I asked our hotel owner, Blondy, if he knew where I could get my palm read hoping he might know of the Medicine Man.

Apparently, Blondy was no stranger to reading palms himself and immediately reached for mine. According to Blondy: I won’t live a long life - maybe just until I am 75 or 80 years old. I will get married once, but if I want I can get married again, but only if I want. I will have three children. I am good with money and will become rich later. Blondy knew of someone that reads palms for a living and said he would take me to meet this man for $25. I was curious if it was the Medicine Man from Eat Pray Love because that was the only way I could justify spending the equivalent of a day’s budget on a palm reading.

Tags: Friends

Comments

1

Did Blondy tell you when we might start having these babies?? Aunt Teresa is patiently waiting to take care of these little ones and I'm so happy that you will be rich enough to take of all of them and me :)

  T Jan 17, 2008 12:58 PM

About flower-lily


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.