Existing Member?

Lily's Travels

Same Same..But Different

MALAYSIA | Saturday, 1 December 2007 | Views [1113] | Comments [3]

"Same same...but different." The Thai women say when they are trying to sell you a dress or scarf of another color or style - inevitably not the one you want.  Same Same but Different is how I feel about my first three days in Malaysia. The main differences are the fusion of Malay, Chinese and Indian cultures creating the mixing pot of Peninsular Malaysia.  With so many different languages converging, Malaysia has seemed to chose English as the common spoken and written word.
 
After four weeks in Thailand, I learned how to say hello/good-bye (the same word), vegetarian, delicious, thank-you, island and noodle.  I have a feeling that mastering the same vocabulary in Malaysia will take some studying.  As another Farang told me, it is hard to tell what language to use in Malaysia because it depends on whom you are speaking.  In her attempts at fitting in, she began speaking the wrong language (ie Chinese) to someone of a different culture (ie Thai) which proved very offensive. Best to just stick with English was her advice.  
 
I have spent the last three days on the west coast of Pulau Langkawi at the beach area called Pantai Cenang, a mellow and yet over-priced gem. The island is currently gearing up for a famous air show - a focal point for the defense industry. I have been hearing loud fighter jets flying over this peaceful island and I am reminded of the Blue Angels show down on Lake Washington this past summer. The air show reminds me that many places in the world are not at peace and the sounds of a fighter jet is not simply for a fancy air show elsewhere.
 
My new hobby on Langkawi is frequenting every mini-mart and pharmacy. I usually don't buy anything but browse the interesting items on the shelves. Last night I discovered something called Royal Pigeon Brand Medicinal Treatment and I really wanted to buy it - mostly for the cute pigeons but I couldn't figure out exactly what it was trying to cure. 
 
One of the differences in Malaysia is the quality chocolate which seemed to be lacking in Thailand. While browsing yet another mini-mart, I discovered the same chocolate I had bought six years ago in Belgium - shaped as seashells. Seems the trade routes in Malaysia have an open door policy for European chocolate.
 
During the last day and a half, I have eaten my worst meal in Asia as well as my best. For dinner my second night, I went to a restaurant recommended in my travel guide and ordered something with fish. What came from the kitchen was something resembling cat food shaped in a large "fish" meatloaf. I found a few pieces of squid inside and one shrimp but nothing else was distinguishable. When the waiter came to clear the plate he asked, "Why you not finish Miss?" Umm...I think I muttered something about it being too much food to eat, so the waiter packed it up for me to take home and enjoy later.
 
After not getting food poisoning from the fishloaf, I decided to trust the guidebook with another dinner recommendation. Still craving protein, I ordered another fish dish. This one was elegantly prepared with saffron rice, fresh white fish, sweet banana, bean sprouts and a green vegetable possibly from the cactus family - no spikes though.  Delicious.
 
Today I will take another ferry to the island of Penang, South of Puala Langkawi.  My guidebook notes that Penang attracts dreamers, artists, intellectuals, scoundrels and dissidents, and it is one of Malaysia's... must-see stops on the Asian overland trail. With a description like that, how can I not go?

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Oh, you have spiked my perpetual wanderlust with tremendous skill... I'm coping in enthusiasm as I read and follow your trails. Safe Travels, free soul!

  cam2yogi Dec 2, 2007 4:23 AM

2

Lily, I always get a thrill reading about your adventures (your blog has made it onto my favorites list) especially on a particularly nasty Seattle day like today. Keep up the blogging; me want pictures! :)

  Corrie Dec 4, 2007 10:28 AM

3

Yes, please add some photos. That fish entree sounds amazing- the good one of course, although I did like your description of the "fish loaf."

  Robyn Dec 13, 2007 12:14 PM

About flower-lily


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.