Existing Member?

World Tour The Idea of Travel, exploring other cultures, seeing the most vague corners of the world has been part of the human race. Here I am just following a dream.

Not really Asia

SINGAPORE | Saturday, 15 December 2007 | Views [473]

The capitalistic city, yet country of Singapore is more then a cultural hub for Asia but it has been since the early times one of the most important trade hub in Asia. It is centralized between Indonesia and Malaysia, with extremely cheap flights to most capitals in Asia. Budget airlines such as Airasia, jetstar and Tiger air do that job.

Like heavy populated cities, it does have a little India and a Chinatown.

Also as the shopping Mecca of Asia, Large shopping malls surround all neighborhoods in central Singapore. Most stores have the same merchandise ranging from cameras to phones they set their prices as high as possible waiting for a bargain or and idiot. But if you live in US disconsider buying electronics, Amazon.com has better prices due to quantity. 

The most know and exciting road in Singapore is defined by a large display of stores and holiday decorations. Now Christmas lights the street with its red and green lights, santas and vitrines exactly the same as NY.

Coming from Australia prices are definitely cheaper, even more considering that the singapore dollar is exchanged at 3/4s of the US dollar.

A Hostel will run around SGD20 and a local meal around SGD5. But now Internet is free due to the hostels competition. At least I don't have to spend most of my money.

During rainy season disconsider sightseeing, since it rains most of the day.

The metro station, here called MRT is spotless, if more scrubbed it would lose it color. Which most of it is white anyway, almost like a hospital.

Little India could bring you amazing experiences. Indians vary from light to dark, as it vary from south to north India. The food also can be the spicy southern of the mild but with many spices and oily northern. On Sunday, coming back from a long walk to orchard road, I encountered my first cultural shock; the streets were jam packed with Indians, mostly men, some walking around with their arms around their male friends, homosexual or not, it looked weird.

Long lines behind cell phone card promotion booths, most playing Indian music. I guess if you do not have a cell phone, you are not Indian enough.

Like most of Asia the country has many temples, however in Singapore the signs will have to direct you there since they are hidden by the skyscrapers.

Though a small country it has many cultural attractions, museums of Buddhism in Asian history and temples of the many backgrounds which inhabit the area. Arabs, Chinese and Indian makes the majority of Singapore.

The zoo, much advertised as the second best zoo in the world, does live after its fame. The zoo is much different from most; it is divided into continents, most animals being from Asia of course. The animals are kept as if they were in their natural habitat, plants from the region the animal lived, including huge trees, are brought for every animal.

I bought a ticket to Phuket online to fly by AirAsia, one of the many budget air lines.

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.