Existing Member?

World Tour The Idea of Travel, exploring other cultures, seeing the most vague corners of the world has been part of the human race. Here I am just following a dream.

Byron Bay - Burned Feet

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 16 October 2007 | Views [513]

Not too bad

Not too bad

Byron bay is one of the paradise for surfers in Australia, however, if you do not surf there isn't much to do but enjoy the beach and relax. The city is very small, reminds me of the north coast of Sao Paulo, something like Maresias, without Sirena.

To get to Byron from Sydney, it took about 12 hours in the bus. Since it was my first time in the Greyhound for so long, it took me some time to find a comfortable position. I found a sleepable one, but not comfortable yet. At the last seat of the bus I could stretch my legs upwards which helped a little.
The hostel, Main Beach Backpackers, was only 2 minutes from the beach, which helps. There is a very nice walk to the lighthouse which I could only go after some days, because on my second day there I toasted my feet as I fell asleep at the beach. The sun is unbelievably hot in Australia, half an hour without sunscreen could lock you in a room for a whole day. At least I did some reading, heheh
From there I took a day trip to the infamous Nimbin. A hippie town which is made up by one street and a lot of weird people.
In Byron I met a group of Chileans which were English teachers back in Chile and where there improve their English. Their university was paying for the whole program, since all of them were on scholarship. Sounds like South America is becoming civilized.
There isn't much nightlife in Byron, but the one bar was full of tourists, backpackers and locals.

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.