Existing Member?

Europe 08 Here we go, my first trip out of the states and its a big one, 48 days (thanks ZOOM!)

Can you say Tourist Trap?

USA | Friday, 18 July 2008 | Views [447] | Comments [2]

Well I've got some time to kill so I'm gonna make a shorter post and put up some pictures. We're made our reurn to civilization in Varna, Bulgaria. Kinda... the road here is porbably, scratch that, without a doubt, the worst road we have had the misfortune to travel on. A one hour trip left me with a backache for the remainder of the day. Fortunatly once you near the acual city of Varna the situtaion improves and the taxi drivers here seem particularly adept at dodging the few but massive potholes. They like to decorate the road surface here in Europe with lines and things like "STOP" and "NO TURNS", I say decorate as they seem to have absolutly no effect on the manner in which people drive. We are staying at a hostel one a large sloping hill maybe half a mile from the coast of the Black Sea located in between the city of Varna and the resort area north of the city "The Golden Sands". Varna is probably the most developed city we have seen in a few weeks (since Budapest), but is amazingly cheap if you are able to avoid being scammed by the locals. The local tourist industry seems to think that because we are western tourists that we must have empty heads and full pockets. The audacity of it all can be alarming, they will tell you "No, we are out of that beer" and then suggest one 2-3 times the price of the one you asked for... all while the cooler w/ the beers 10ft away is in full sight and stocked w/ the beer you requested. You have to negotiate a price with the taxi drivers before getting in as well, we paid 10 lev (about 8$) for our ride into the city last night and the first and second drivers we approached for a ride home last night attempted to charge us 30 and 25 lev respectively, we accepted the thrid cabbies offer of 12 lev, I mean the sun was coming up :) We may be going spear fishing tomm or the day after, we'll probably be staying in Varna utill Tuesday when we leave for the Bulgarian Capital, Sofia, which has some amazing archtecture. On friday we will leave for what is the personal highlight of my trip, ROME!
 
-fjd

Comments

1

Hey, Floyd I really enjoy reading your blogs and looking at pictures.I am so happy you had the chance to do this. I do envy you!!! We all miss you stay healthy and happy. LOVE,HUGS AND KISSES, AUNTIE COOKIE P.S. DONT FORGET YOUR MOTHERS BLACK SEA WATER!!!

  cookie Jul 18, 2008 5:17 AM

2

DEAR FLOYD I LOVE YOU AND I MISS YOU! GLAD YOUR HAVING FUN. COME SEE ME WHEN YOU GET HOME! OOOOOOOOXXXXXXX LOVE,GRANNY

  GRANNY DUKES Jul 20, 2008 1:40 AM

About fjdukes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.