Existing Member?

Europe 08 Here we go, my first trip out of the states and its a big one, 48 days (thanks ZOOM!)

Camping is "in-tents"

ROMANIA | Wednesday, 9 July 2008 | Views [706] | Comments [3]

I realize its been a while since I've posted, we've been bumming around on a few beaches here on the coast of the Black Sea in Romania and there is not a whole lot to report. This portion of our trip is to be a slight vacation from any real sights and from spending. A draft beer is 80 cents on the beach (compare that to 8$ in Ireland and 5$ in Miami) We were in Constanta, specifically spending most of out time in the resort area Mamia, and we are now in Vama Veche which is south of Constanta. In Constanta we were staying with the family of one of Dennis' friends from home. They were extremely nice and were very hospitable people. The mother of the family cooked us huge breakfasts and dinners everyday, and if we were home for lunch I'm sure there would have been lunch too. It got to a point where we would be quiet when we got up because "Breakfast is ready!", as we would be told every morning, might be a little before we were actually physically and mentally up to the task (when meals are this large two a day will do, we didn't eat lunch the whole time we were there). We spent everyday at the beach resort area of Mamaia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamaia), its quite built up and reminds me of a smaller Miami, the residents I told this to were very happy to here this. The resort area is filled with tourists from all around Europe, el Presidente Bush even came here to meet the  President of  Romania  instead of the capital city Bucharest. Which having seen both I can say was a good move, Bucharest, we felt, was a hole, and the residents of Romania seem to agree. I think I took one picture there, of the 2nd largest (not tallest) building in the world, our Pentagon is the largest. The building was built by their former dictator to please his ego, unfortunately the building is much to large to use and maintain so portions of it are unused and in disrepair. Meh, it was just a stopping over point and seeing something like that makes you appreciate what you have a lot more.

    Getting back to current location, Vama Veche, it is as the our host in Constanta explained a "Wild" Beach. The word applies in every sense. Want to camp on the beach? No problem, just pitch your tent (and we did). Want to cook w/ a fire on the beach? No problem, light it up (and we did). Have a beer on the beach? No problem, buy one from the bar on the beach or go buy a 3 liter bottle of beer for 3$ 20ft from the beach (and we did). Want to wear nothing at all on the beach? No problem, strip down. (and we did NOT). The very fact of our shorts go below our knees is enough for most Europeans to know we're American (which is apparently a rare thing here). We're currently at a hotel (24$ a night, a block from the beach!) as last night we were unfortunately out on the beach, in our tents, for one of the worst storms the area has seen in a while (a truck was blown off the road and into a building). Speaking of which, the first rule of camping on the beach is to know where your rain cover is and how to put it on in the dark, in the wind, and right side up. Second rule, everything that doesn't get along with water (documents, passport, electronics) goes in one of the 40 or so plastic ziplock bags you "may" have "acquired" from airport security in "London" :) Third rule, if the tent isn't cutting it, open an umbrella, yes, inside, it works, I got a good two more hours of sleep doing this. The hotel we are in is nice and clean but a bit small. It has one odd feature that I have not seen anywhere else. The sink in the bathroom has one of those heads that people have in their kitchens that you can pull out and its on a hose so you can use it as a sprayer. Well... that's the shower. Essentially the sink and toilet are in one huge shower that they call the bathroom. Alas, it works out fine and there is plenty of hot water, something not to assumed when taking a shower here. We used a public shower the other day and it had two settings, cold and so cold it takes your breath away.

We are departing tomorrow for Varna, Bulgaria by bus...we think. We still need to work out some of the details but its only 4pm here so no biggie. Ciao!

-fjd

Comments

1

you stole that title from me. :p

  April Jul 10, 2008 5:05 AM

2

"The resort area is filled with tourists from all around Europe, el Presidente Bush even came here to meet the President of Romania instead of the capital city Bucharest. Which having seen both I can say was a good move"

Jeebus, you had to go all the way to Europe to find the one good move the jackass has made in the past 7 years?

Have Fun!

Smack

  Smack Jul 10, 2008 1:37 PM

3

Hey sounds like all that camping we did actually came in handy! I was camping in the rain also. In New Jersey. Sounds like a great time. Miss You! Be Safe!
Love, Mom

  Mom Jul 12, 2008 9:39 AM

About fjdukes


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Romania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.