Existing Member?

2009-2012 - A South-East Asian Odyssey

Grieving Kingdom

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 24 November 2010 | Views [645] | Comments [1]

November 23rd has been an incredibly sad day, with the news of the terrible tragedy of the deaths of almost 400 people in Phnom Penh, at the closing of the annual water festival, one of Cambodia’s biggest celebrations. Every year around three million people from the provinces come to Phnom Penh to enjoy the festival marking the end of rainy season, the reversal of the flow of the Tonle Sap river, and to give thanks to the river which gives life to the people through its fish supplies and irrigation of the surrounding farmlands. Three days of dragon boat races on the river and nightly concerts held in several outdoor locations around the city’s riverside area provide the entertainment and festivities which usually are defined by a carnival atmosphere. All was going to script, until something happened which caused thousands of people to panic at the end of the third day. Reports state that people were pushing to get on and off the bridge to Diamond Island, a small piece of land just offshore from the main riverside area, and at around 11:00pm something changed and there was a stampede. Women and teenagers being the most vulnerable because of their size and strength, made up most of the numbers of the dead. A doctor at the hospital which received the bodies of the dead and dying, made a statement to the local English language newspaper that the cause of death of most of the people he had attended to was suffocation or electrocution. There have been reports that after the stampede started, military police fired water cannons onto the bridge, connecting with unsafe lighting, and some of the crowd were electrocuted. The bridge looks great at night, with festive lights strung across from end to end. It’s difficult to think about, but it doesn’t take much imagination to come up with a scenario where thousands of people are trapped on a bridge, panicked and trying to get off, some over the sides of the bridge into the water, some of those people becoming electrocuted, and those people crushed against thousands of others…. A dark day indeed. I am thankful that none of my work colleagues, nor the friends I have been able to talk to, and even the tuk tuk driver I use often who said he would go with me to the final night, were not there, and are all ok. The streets of Phnom Penh have had a sombre mood today, with the conspicuous absence of the usual busy-ness, not many people around, and a definite sense of emptiness. What a tragic irony that a festival staged to express gratitude for giving life, has taken so much away. Tears have filled my eyes many times today; as I listen to the radio broadcast of the grieving woman who lost her entire family during the Pol Pol regime and had only a son left, only for him to die in the crush last night; as I read the news updates online and learn of the bodies piled one on top of another in the tents of the makeshift hospital morgue; as I imagine the teenagers in their party clothes, dressed for a night of fun; and on the walk to the evening market near my apartment to buy dinner, seeing on the footpath outside house after house, offerings of food, water, incense and candles for those lost. I feel incredibly sad, and really wonder, when the Cambodian people are going to get a break. Still, the young kids are out as usual, playing badminton in the street outside my apartment, and they, better than anything, serve as a reminder that life goes on.

This past year and a half of working in Thailand and Cambodia has taught me a lot about many things, and by default, about myself. I have also discovered that I feel a deep connection with humanity, and perhaps this is why I feel like it is here that I really live.

Comments

1

Struggling for words to comment on this story Fi. It has prompted me to keep the Cambodian people in my thoughts and send them positive, loving energy. Sending some to you as well! mum x

  Clare Garner Dec 5, 2010 4:52 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.