Existing Member?

2009-2012 - A South-East Asian Odyssey

Riding by the firefly light

THAILAND | Friday, 12 June 2009 | Views [1248] | Comments [11]

Friday 12 June

See the gallery White Temple & other things for photos from this post.

So I’ve resorted to trimming my own fringe with a pair of nail scissors.  The results are questionable, but considering the overall state of my hair in this humidity, my fringe is the least of my appearance concerns. 

Our 3 new volunteers arrived last week & it’s good to have some extra hands around the place.  Including the 2 co-directors, we’ve now got 3 Australians, 2 Canadians, 2 Americans, & 1 from the Philippines.  Two more arriving tomorrow – not sure where they’re from.  Some of the kids’ sponsors sometimes come to visit, & a woman from the U.S. who sponsors about 5 or 6 of them also arrived last week.  She comes about every 3 months & spends a few weeks, bringing lots of clothes, toys & games, and contributing more money to the needs of the kids she supports, on top of the sponsorship payments she already makes.  She’s very cool & all the kids love her.

Last week I took a day off – my first in 4 weeks! We get 1 day off a week, & can either take them or save them up.  I hadn’t really wanted or needed a day off until then, but had the urge to get out & about in Chiang Rai to see & do some stuff.  First stop was the White Temple, which is only a 15 minute drive from town & was AWESOME.  Construction started in 1998 & is the design of a controversial local artist, Chalermchai Kositpipat, who has also painted incredible murals on the internal walls of the temple which are still being completed.  There is a monk inside the temple, sitting on a little platform at one end, meditating, & other than noticing that he was there & looked quite peaceful, I didn’t really take much notice of him, mostly because it seems rude to gawk… But now I’m wishing that I paid more attention, because rumour has it that he’s a wax dummy & they have them in temples all over the place.  Outrageous!  There was much debate at Barry’s on Saturday night over whether this is true or not, but I’m yet to get to the bottom of it.

After the White Temple I had a few things to find in the day market, then I signed myself up for a massage to reverse some of the cycling/gardening/driveway relocation work of the past 4 weeks.  It was a good one, which would have best been followed up with a dip in the ocean & a few drinks in the shade and a cool sea breeze, but alas this was not to be & instead it was back out into the baking Chiang Rai afternoon for me. 

The biggest challenge for me to deal with since I arrived is dealing with the hygiene.  On a personal level it’s pretty good – all the kids shower & brush their teeth every day (sometimes difficult to enforce with only a couple of kids in the house I grew up in!), but in terms of the house, especially the kitchen, it’s really not that great.  From what I can work out, this is down to a few things; with the housemothers being hilltribe (and actually we still only have one housemother, & it’s far too much for one person to do), they have come from the villages where they do things differently to how we do them in our nice shiny cities.  They don’t have refrigerators, or plumbing, or any of the conveniences or education about hygiene that we have, and it’s a bit of a challenge for me to get used to.  The other main factor, as always, is money.  There just isn’t any money to have a fund that flows constantly to replace cleaning stuff; to fix things that break; to install hot water for the kitchen; or most alarmingly, an outfall for the open drain that runs through the kitchen & straight off the back walkway & lands on the ground right next to the house.  This runoff contains everything that would normally go down a sink, and much, much more.  Chicken & pork bones; fish heads, tails, guts; mango seeds; cooked rice; vegetable scraps….. And then it sits, festering in the roasting sun & humidity, stinking up a storm.  Not to mention the rats & cockroaches that must love it…. From the moment I arrived here I wanted to do something about it, & when Kitt (a local guy who runs a tour company & does loads for us) was here having a look at the leaking roof, I asked him to take a look at it with me.  I explained my idea to install a pipe, 4 or 5 meters long, off the drain & out into the field, & asked how much.  At 1500 baht including labour, I couldn’t resist, so told him to go ahead & by the next day I had funded my first project.  It’s made such a difference, & even though it’s all still getting dumped in the field, at least it’s a few meters away & the smell, nay, stench, is that much further away.  I've uploaded some "before" photos & will take an "after" photo soon.

But for every yin there’s a little bit of yang, & the sad news is that the 2 girls who left the centre & still haven’t returned, won’t be coming back.  There was a phone conversation that revealed that one of them (who’s role model is her older sex-worker sister) has been un-enrolled from school, and Donna the sponsor went to visit the other girl in her village to see if she could convince her to come back, but was told that she, too has been un-enrolled and that she just wants to stay in the village and get married – she’s 14.  So, you just do what you can, & remember that that’s all you can do.

One of our most accident-prone boys broke a bone in his hand, punching his friend in the head at school in a play fight…. He had to spend 2 nights in hospital & have an operation to set the bone in place, because it was snapped in two, with one bit pushed up underneath the other bit.  This meant that Nabee the house mother spent one night there with him, which meant that there would be no one to cook breakfast the next morning.  I said I would do it, & some of the boys volunteered to help, which was entirely necessary because none of us even know how much rice or water to put in the cooker…. Thankfully that went off without a hitch & everyone seemed happy enough.

I still can’t get over the difference in the kids who went back to their villages, but came back to the centre.  Especially the girls, who are starting to get really friendly with me & just seem like completely different children to the ones who were punching, kicking & biting us on that terrible day…. One of them even gave me a comedy massage one night.  She’s a tiny little girl but is really strong, & apparently is really good at Thai massage.  So anyway, this massage I got was hilarious – it was like she was on fast forward, flipping me over, bending my legs all over the place, flapping my arms… it was fun & a good bonding experience, I think.

There are loads of fireflies around where we live & they are super cool!  I don’t think I’ve ever seen them before so I’m a bit fascinated by them.  The first time I saw one was in my bedroom one night when I was going to sleep – I turned the light off then when I got into bed I noticed a really bright, tiny light on the ceiling….then it started moving around the room & for a moment I wondered if there had been some funny mushrooms in my dinner…but then I realised that it must have been a firefly.  After that I started noticing them around the place at night, especially when I’m walking or cycling down our road, which doesn’t have many streetlights, & the fireflies are everywhere.  I even made a complete arse of myself one night when a few of us were walking to Barry’s & I looked across the road & saw a bunch of tiny lights drifting across the sky & said something like “hey look!  There’s a pack of fireflies!”….and then I heard the noise….it was a plane…..

A very exciting event this week – we got some ducks.  25 of them.  Volunteers have tried in the past to keep chickens to have a constant supply of eggs for the house (we go through about 240 each week), but those efforts have failed – the first time because a dog got into the pen & killed them; and the second time because the chickens broke their necks or something.  Anyway, now there are quite strict rules in place with regard to keeping chickens - something to do with bird flu, I think, & you have to have some sort of licence or permit or something.  But the rules aren’t so tight for ducks, so there you go.  They started laying eggs right away, & I think we’re getting around 10-15 per day.  They’re really funny to watch – whenever anyone goes anywhere near the pen, they all waddle over to the corner furthest from the gate, quacking away & get into a close huddle, then are really quiet – like they think they’re hiding & we can’t see them.  It keeps me amused, anyway.  Funny what keeps you entertained when you have no TV.

By the way, the baby bird didn’t make it….

Comments

1

Great photography Fi! White Temple..wow!! The children are vey cute, great they are getting to know you & you them.
I wish your grandma was here to read of your challenges. I think she would be thinking of her early days at Willowvale. At least the food scraps were taken away daily for the pigs, but they did sit in a bucket outside the back door for the day.
Guess you've blown the budget for your push bike? I'm wondering how Lisa's collection is coming along.
You look great. Thanks for the pics. x

  Clare Jun 15, 2009 4:10 PM

2

Hi there Fiona. Great to see some pics of you included this time. You're looking great. Enjoying your journaling very much. That 'bike fund' sounds like a brillant idea. Let's see if we can make something happen there. Take care. Love & hugs xx

  Margaret & David Jun 15, 2009 6:07 PM

3

Hi Fiona you really seem to be handling your challenges that you have been faced with well done I am sure my daughter Susan would be inpressed in what you are doing. Susan spent 12 months in Bangladesh but getting paid a few dollars through out the year, and her latest stint in laos which she enjoyed, and now Susan is back in Brisbane working with refugees so I am sure like your parents Susan would say well done Fiona take care and thanks

  Carmen Knopke Jun 15, 2009 6:42 PM

4

Hi Fi
I have really enjoyed your diary entries - you have a great talent in this area; I feel like I am close to your experience through your writing and I really look forward to reading each new episode.
I can barely imagine what life must be like and what it is like to live without all the home comforts we take for granted. There are a lot of us fitz's - is there some way that we could support you and/or the orphanage? I realise that sometimes it can be really hard to ask - if you have an idea in this area just let me know and I am happy to coordinate any support that your extended family here may be willing to offer.
Your stories of the children are deeply moving and while you are there doing the hard bit I am sure many of us here would be prepared to give some monetary support (the very easy bit!). I would like to hear how this could be organised so that it gets directly to the point of greatest need - and you are on the spot and in a position to advise! You know how many people here become cynical when they realise that what they donate goes to admin and only a small percentage ever finds its way to the people in most need! I sense through you we can assist in a most direct way. We just need to know how - or at least, I do.
Love your photos too - how spectacular is that white temple.
Keep safe and well - I look forward to your ongoing story.
Philip

  PHILIP FITZGERALD Jun 15, 2009 9:15 PM

5

That temple is INSANE! So nice to see your happy smiley face :) love u, miss u S xo

  Susie Jun 16, 2009 2:37 PM

6

Hi Fiona Great reading. You really do have a talent.Maybe you will be a journalist in another life.
what an amazing life you are leading. I can only try to imagine. I think the heat and flies would be the worst. The children look beautiful and I'm sure would be a challenge.
Look forward to more
Love Ann

  Ann Jun 16, 2009 9:11 PM

7

Hey Fi.

Had managed to forget you were writing a blog (typical me) but was reminded by your email the other day.
Have just spent the last hour or so catching up on your new and exciting life. Good on you for going for it. Makes me very envious of your new adventure. Have a beer in Barrys for me. Sounds like my kind of place!!

Stay safe and keep blogging. xx

  Andy Barrett Jun 17, 2009 1:07 AM

8

Bella Fi Fi, I love ducks!!! Hopefully they don't eat the egg with a foetus in it like they do in Cambodia as it's pretty gross...

You sound like you are having a fabulicious time... Keep the blogs coming, they are a very fabulous way to keep me delightfully entertained.

Much love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Larisa Jun 19, 2009 12:44 PM

9

compost!

RIP liddle bird x

  jenks Jun 30, 2009 1:23 AM

10

It really is beautiful to hear you are bonding with the children fifi :) and i'm really pleased most of the children returned from their village. i hope they continue with their renewed commitment and get as much schooling and love as possible to set them up with a better life.
I'm so very impressed by your plumbing story, congratulations on your first project :) and by the sounds of the contents it could actually be great fertilizer for the vegetable patches and fruit trees!

Ducks are totally awesome and will get more and more friendly, they make really good pets if they have a lot of human contact. but i am giving this advice on the back of watching friends so do let me know how this goes..

your story of the fireflies made me laugh and reminded me of the time i (thought)i saw them. i was at the moonlight cinema one night and looked up to see illuminated wings flapping and excitedly proclaimed "oh look fireflies!!" only to be told that they were indeed moths flying in the light of the projector by my amused friend...

you truly are an inspiration miss fi fi and i hope you fall asleep at night knowing you are making a difference and loved and missed by so many back home in Oz xxx

  Lil'Zee Jul 1, 2009 3:18 PM

11

Mum passed on your blog address, & I have enjoyed very much reading your stories when I can. It sounds like an amazing experience you are having...good on you!! I'm sure the hardships are balanced out by the many rewarding bits & the love of the children, which I just know will grow with each day. Keep up the writing! Love Sue xxx

  Suzanne Harvey Jul 21, 2009 2:49 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.