Existing Member?

let's meet

a trip inside out

EGYPT | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [208] | Scholarship Entry

I will never forget the day that changed my life and introduced me to the heart of Egypt the people. two years ago I got a job opportunity to deliver training on roof top farms at informal areas of Cairo during the month of Ramadan, I visit Ezbet el hagana , ezbet kharyallah and Ezbet elnasr with help of some NGO’s that have been working in developing the area, after all it is not that easy to just wander in these streets. because the formation of the slums started with migration of Egyptian families from upper Egypt and rural areas to Cairo, looking for better life with no money they lived at the edge of Cairo in closed communities with no facilities or service . the names of the streets named after the first resident who set his foot in the place .at the markets you will find lots of homemade food like that Egyptian bread made of corn flower it is light crunchy also light low fat cheese” karesh” sold at affordable price that can be turned into a great snack And if you ever felt tired renew your energy with that sweet can juice “aser elkasab”.slums resembles in the looks small simple houses formed material found in the area. “ezbet el hagana” has a different structure you will find modern buildings , that because of its location with easy access to down town which made it a good place for some journalists to live in to avoid the jam. That give it a unique structure combining different social living standers. during “Ramadan”the streets turn into that great carnival full of colors , light , and stays awake till dawn .The month start with the Kids gathering to decorated the streets with cooler paper , lantern and lights .made by kids and gathered it in long ropes connecting the balcony ,while moms are preparing the first “sohor”. shops won’t wake till noon, so if you are looking for some breakfast you’d better save some if you are not a staying in hotel. you will find tables are set and a lot of people plating food for any person who pass to eat after “Maghreb” prayer you will find “khoshaf’ which is Date mixed with dried fruits and sugars mixed with water , normally it is what we start with before eat .and “ Konafa” adessert stuffed with nuts or cream or just served as it is, a must try . and that was just a glimpse of that closed community life to get you an insight about their simple lives. Now if you want to know why Egyptian warm heart people , simply because they are one big family no matter where you go you will get this feeling .

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About fatima-elzhraa


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.