Existing Member?

On the road again

Day 5 NZ: Hobbit Worms

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 13 April 2017 | Views [430]

We were sad to leave our backpackers on the beach...but the ocean was a mess, the weather was deteriorating and the cyclone was due to hit our location at 2pm that day. Drove South for a few hours with radio warnings on repeat and hoped for the best. Stopped at a truck stop in Matamata and met Peter, a 60 year old pilot and massive flirt. He had us laughing at his stories and family photos. Then I visited Middle Earth while Shell opted for a drive into town...because apparently some people don't care for one of the best trilogies of all time (and in fact 30% of visitors have no idea about Hobbiton or the Lord of the Rings franchise). I absolutely loved it but missed you dearly Mike, because this is one thing you really must experience! Next, off to Watomo Caves to see some glow worm action. Even though it was only 45mins, it was full of surprises, weaving in and out of caves, learning about their life cycle and seeing thousands of them in pitch black silence as our ships captain pulled us along the river using connecting ropes. We headed to Rotorua to stay for the night, battling heavy rain on the roads and sudden pools of water. Made it safely...phew.

About excellentadventure


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.