Existing Member?

2010 Adventures This is a journal recording my adventures as I travel from Australia to China to Europe and where ever the road leads me next.

China travels

CHINA | Friday, 30 July 2010 | Views [569]

Wintry Sydney had lulled me into a sort of hibernation mode, so being thrust into the hot, busy and challenging environment of China made my first week feel a little less like holidays and a little more like torture. I was particular unfond of the all-encompassing humidity and heat that left me feeling like a dumpling being steamed. I also lamented the loss of my personal space and sweet, beloved silence. Where ever there weren’t hoards of people scurrying about and casually shouting their lungs out, there would be a constant stream of persistant touts trying to sell Shean and I something- a watch, a tour, postcards, peanuts or lead us somewhere to then sell us something.

Hong Kong and a brief stop in Guangzhou were our first destinations in China. I did enjoying seeing the neon glow of city lights over Hong Kong harbour, the enormous Tian Tan Buddha on Lautau island as well as the Hong Kong Museum of Art. But overall the sweaty stream of humans and the dense, dilapidated housing gave me a claustrophobic feeling that made me concerned about overpopulation and how poorly it can be managed. We also passed through Guangzhou, though all I can remember of the place is being chased by little old ladies with trollies and being thoroughly confused about where to catch the bus from.

From Guangzhou, we headed to Guillin which had a very different atmosphere. We arrived in Guillin on a balmy night, saw streets lit up with numerous, neon palm trees and huge amounts of scantily clad people on scooters, bicycles and odd contraptions. Each mode of transportation device seemed to be over burdened with items such as a tiny scooter carrying 3 people and a large inflatable tube or a man carrying what looked like most of his furniture on his bicycle. Despite being in Guillin for 3 days we really didn’t do alot there. The heat was so intense that by 12 o’clock people disappeared off the streets or would lay sprawled in the parks, semi-comatosed. We too retreated indoors and felt quite content avoiding the aggressive touts or in Shean’s case avoiding the hookers asking him if he wanted sex.

The holiday really felt like it begun with we arrived in Yangshuo, which is a small town by Chinese standards and is surrounded by lush green countryside and towering other-worldly limestone peaks. Like in Guillin, there were numerous touts hassling us more often than not and the heat and humidity was at its greatest yet (35-37C most days). However, the beautiful scenery, the charming meandering rivers and the more laid back atmosphere compensated for these things.

 Our most memorable days were when we explored Yangshuo’s countryside farms and nearby villages; sometimes cycling, walking or taking “bamboo” boat rides on dubious, home-made looking rafts. We dragged our bicycles through thick red-brown mud, alongside green plots of farmland, zig-zagged through little crops and past dingy farm houses, and witnessed an ever changing landscape of beautiful karst peaks. Funnily, one of our “bamboo” boat rides down the Li River involved a terrible storm being unleashed onto us and our raft rescuing and towing another boat whose crappy lawn mower like engine had failed. Not that the engine of our raft/boat was any better and we prayed that it would heave all of us to safety, which it did thankfully.

During our 5 day stay in Yangshuo, I grew accustomed to the sights of the locals wearing bamboo hats and carrying large amounts of fresh fruit and vegetables, the Li River peacefully flowing past water buffalo feeding at its shores and of course the ever present touts trying to get our attention, shouting out phrases such as “bamboo”, “hullo, hullo” and “looky looky”. In Yangshuo, we also regularly went out to restaurants serving delicious food and had fun strolling in the evening through the markets that sold all sorts of trinkets such as giant fans, teas and folk crafts. I was quite glad that we had found a place in China that was actually worth visiting. Sadly though, the joy I had in Yangshuo was not to be repeated as I travelled onward through China's smoggy, crowded cities.

Tags: china yangshuo

 

About eve76


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.