Existing Member?

My Travel Adventures

Hoi An

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 27 January 2015 | Views [248]

Shopping, shopping, shopping with a bit of culture thrown in is how I would describe Hoi An. It is the perfect place to pick up souvenirs, get a dress made or to just chill out in one of the restaurants overlooking the river.

Our transportation to Hoi An was a bit bizarre - a bus with bunk bed like seats. However, it got us to our hotel mice free. Winning!

Hoi An is an awesome little town with French inspired architecture and is a world heritage listed site. Our first day our guide took us on a walking tour of the town but with the amount of shops all around everyone was quickly distracted! Unfortunately bartering in the town is not easy. One woman wouldn't even try with me - just returned to her lunch while I stood in the shop looking like an idiot (I really wanted that singlet!). Another threw a calculator down and stormed off. And it wasn't even like I was saying some ridiculous price! I was just going off the price of another t-shirt I had bought.

I drank coconut water for the first time straight out of the shell. Surprisingly good! Sitting on the small plastic chairs on the side of he road watching them freshly crack open a coconut right in front of you is definitely a must do experience (as well as the selfies to capture the moment).

We had one brave fellow traveller that tried dog for lunch one day. Thankfully the rest of us weren't invited to this particular lunch. From his account it seemed pretty elaborate and tasty. Apparently he didn't ask about the type of dog and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a pet dog at home. Makes you wonder - is eating dogs and cats illegal in Australia? Or do we not even have a law against it because eating our loveable Labrador puppies seems unfathomable?

We also hired bikes. Although not nearly as speedy or comfortable as the scooters it was great riding through bright green rice paddies and heading out to the beach later in the day. Although not the most appealing beach they had banana lounges, food and beer delivery to the lounges and minimal beach hawkers (although the ones that were there still suckered you in).

When we left Hoi An our guide reminded us not to blame him for our significantly lighter wallets!

PS. I'm not exactly sure how I forgot to include this in my original Hoi An post but - we did an amazing cooking class there. We learnt how to make traditional spring rolls, sweet and sour chicken soup, papaya salad and fish cooked in a banana leaf over an open flame with the most delicious marinade ever! I even are the fish! The food and the cooking instructor were actually so good that earlier that day when the Pope (yes - the actual POPE) was in town celebrating the 400th year anniversary of Catholicism in Hoi An he was catered for by the same people. In fact, apparently the food was so good he even asked for seconds!

 

About etak91


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.