Existing Member?

My Travel Adventures

Apple Tea

TURKEY | Thursday, 31 October 2013 | Views [292]

Istanbul - the only city in the world placed on two continents. Europe and Asia. I'm not sure if it was just the people I met, the time of year, the vibe of the hostel or what but my time in Istanbul was a highlight on my trip. So much fun in one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in plus a city that is full of sights and experiences - what's not to love. Seeing the Blue Mosque was a must, shopping in the grand bazaar irresistible and tasting turkish delight in the spice market delicious. I've discovered a love for apple tea and the Turkish beer isn't half bad. My time in Istanbul was almost perfect except for... the hassling. 24hrs into the country and I'd been hit on and asked out for tea more times than my entire life put together (granted being asked out for tea was a first!). Marriage proposals are a plenty, followers hang around too long, sexist men... yep. I swear hearing any of these for the hundredth time made me want to scream: 'where are you from?' ' you look hungry' 'look in my shop' 'don't break my heart' 'you dropped something' 'oh wow' 'look at my menu' 'why you not friendly'... And the doozy of a line: 'there are two types of Australian travellers. Those that are friendly and those that are scared of their own shadow but still travel because of their ego'. Wow buddy definitely makes me want to further get to know you. Rant aside though, for every hassler there was a local that made my day. A waiter that chats with no ulterior motive or better yet one that offers free sheesha. Women that make gozleme on traditional cookery. Those that offer free apple tea... Yum! The general atmosphere is really what makes this amazing city.

About etak91


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.