Existing Member?

Kiwanja Ndege Community Project "One thing is for sure though – it has made me realize that the only way to make other people aware of the world outside their own front yard, is a device you carry on your shoulder with a big red button that says - RECORD!"

kiwanja Ndege Community Project Day 4

KENYA | Tuesday, 30 October 2007 | Views [781]

Day 4: The next day started pretty much with me trying to put together a raw structure of what I needed to cover over the next couple of days. We all met again at the school. The group was desperately trying to stick to the schedule and I spent my time with Robin, trying to understand what a kid in his position goes through. Funnily enough, he wasn’t much different to the kids I knew from back home. He enjoyed playing sports, hanging out with friends, well the usual. Yet, there was one major difference. He told me he wanted to become a journalist. Nothing unachievable – in Australia! The problem I encountered was that when completing primary school in Kenya, the funds to pay for a secondary school were fairly limited. The majority of kids are not able to educate themselves further because of their financial background. After Robin finished school for the day, we walked home to his place together. On the way we chatted about all kinds of things, some more some less important. He introduced me to his brother and his other siblings. This was what I had been waiting for, a more personal insight into the life of those I was documenting. While I was focusing on getting the best possible material, the group itself had their own little hurdles to overcome. The end of the trip was coming closer and closer and we both started to run out of time to complete what we came for. Now that I finally had the base of my film, the camera did not stop rolling. Unaware that batteries and tape stock was rapidly running out, I shot whatever material I thought would be useful in the edit... After returning to the campsite, I reviewed some of the rushes and made arrangements to charge my batteries, yet I was still running low on stock. The final day was coming up and I had to make sure to cover everything important whilst saving as much tape as possible for the vital shots that could essentially make the film.

Tags: Adventures

About esperanto_films


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.