Existing Member?

Kiwanja Ndege Community Project "One thing is for sure though – it has made me realize that the only way to make other people aware of the world outside their own front yard, is a device you carry on your shoulder with a big red button that says - RECORD!"

Kiwanja Ndege Community Project Day 1

KENYA | Tuesday, 30 October 2007 | Views [1960] | Comments [1]

Day 1: After arriving in Nairobi and being introduced to the hustle and bustle, fumes and the melody of car horns, I soon realised that this trip was going to be an adventure. On the same night we were briefed on the actual project and got to meet everyone who would share the next 7 days together as well as water and coffee supplies. We left Nairobi in the early morning and made our way through the numerous checkpoints to a little town called Laikipia. The roads rather resembled a Swiss cheese than the main entrance point between Tanzania and Kenya. Spending 6 hours in a car with strangers, definitely helped to break the ice and exchange a few stories as to what had brought us all here. Most of the people came from all corners of Australia, yet all had the same goal. Give the kids a better and happier learning environment. We arrived at the Kiwanja Ndege Public School in the late afternoon. The sun slowly made its way down the horizon, and an orchestra of birds and other animals started to greet us to this somehow forgotten yet magical setting. We made our way down to our campsite, a short but rugged drive down the hill from where the school was, whist being told that for the next seven days, the transportation by car would simply be a luxury. The children that attended this school, walked from all over the region to get to it on time, a pleasure that I would encounter a few hours from now! After deciding who would share the tents with whom, we all sat down to once more go over what had to be done throughout the following week. Many of us had just arrived, and thus to preserve energy we slowly but surely parted and went to sleep.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Hi

i also went to the Kiwanja Ndege Public School in october this year with my own secondary school from england, we built 20 desks ans 40 benches installed a solar panel, and re built the water tank structure.

i really understood what you said in your 'day 2' entry about there singing, and how far they walked to school.

i was just wondering are you from australia?

because the children where asking if we knew previous visitors from australia. and they mencioned names Jack and Michelle.

has this journey had an effect on your life?

please write back

thank you

  Louise Dec 17, 2007 8:51 AM

About esperanto_films


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.