Existing Member?

Travel diaries

On the road again...

ICELAND | Friday, 5 March 2010 | Views [796]

...just can’t wait to get on the road again

I’m off to Skagaströnd in the northwest on my third day in Iceland. Even though it’s pretty much clear across the country from Reykjavík, the bus ride is only four and a half hours (including 45 minutes of pit stops). The Icelandic landscape is a blinding vision in white- snowy flat fields and mountains as far as the eye can see.

I have to get off the regular bus in Blönduós where a guy in a car drives me the remaining half hour to Skagaströnd, a small fishing town of 500-ish people. He drops me off right at my house in all its mustard and green corrugated metal glory. I’m feeling all sorts of antsy to see the house, get set up in my studio, start working and feel settled. After being homeless for three months, I’m psyched to be able to sit in a warm bed with a book or my laptop. Sitting around and doing nothing feels like the ultimate luxury. So does having internet access at home. And grocery shopping.

A few words here about my accommodations- they are awesome! I’m living in a two storey house with two other women and have the best room. I was expecting a tiny shoebox with a single bed and, maybe if I was lucky, a nighttable. What I’ve got is a big double bed, a couch, a coffee table, a desk and a big picture window right in front of my bed overlooking the fields, mountains and harbor. It’s sweet justice after all that sleeping on the floor in loud, dirty dorms or a tent.

My studio space is equally as awesome. Most of the residents (and there are ten of us in total) share an open studio space in an old fishing plant with our areas divided by shelving units. I got the back corner space, meaning I have two walls for hanging and projecting images, more space and nobody looking over my shoulder. I really like the studio, it’s got a cool metal and concrete industrial vibe.

The other residents are making some interesting work. I like being around other artists where everyone is passionate about what they’re doing and where we can talk about our work in one breath and line dancing in the next.

Which brings me to some Skagaströnd trivia. It is the country music capital of Iceland! There is a country-western radio station (I really want to get a radio show here- Iceland needs to get some Urbanization!) and a country bar, Kantrybær, the only bar in town and also where the school children eat their lunches. We can eat there too and my housemate and I want to go if there is ever a meatless meal. When else will I eat school lunch with a bunch of Icelandic children in a country western bar?!

Skagaströnd’s got a lot going on despite its small size- everything from yoga to line dancing classes to knitting nights. This morning there was an open house at the town school. The children were showing off their arts and crafts projects to the townsfolk. I went and immediately made a little friend, Hallbjörn, an adorable 8 year old girl who spoke near perfect English and proudly led me around the school to show me all of her projects. And then tomorrow is quiz night at Kantrybær.

This afternoon, a TV crew from one of the 3 stations in Iceland came to the studio. They interviewed a few of the residents, including me. I don’t know if they’ll use me, I felt really boring and awkward when I was talking. I’ll let you know if I make it onto Icelandic TV or if I end up on the cutting room floor.

Not much else to say, I’m just feeling so super happy and inspired and alive right now. When I woke up this morning, I sat up in bed and just stared out my picture window at the Icelandic ponies roaming around and the snow covered field shining in the sun like a pearl.

 

 

Travel Answers about Iceland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.