Existing Member?

Travel diaries

I´m here!

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 18 November 2009 | Views [850] | Comments [11]

I´ve been in Argentina for 4 days and have already seen so many amazing things! I arrived in Buenos Aires on Friday evening after 23 hours of travel. I was hosted by the lovely Nick & Joanna who gave me an excellent introduction to the city and porteño life.

We spent Saturday and Sunday walking around the city and hanging out. One of our first stops was the Recoleta cemetery. The guidebook made it sound like it might be cheesy, but it was amazing. It´s basically a 3/4 sized city made up on masoleums ranging from elaborate & ornate to run down and Edgar Allan Poe scary. I felt like a semi-giant walking around the ruins of a Byzantine city.

We also spent a lot of time walking around the Recolata and Palermo barrios, ducked into a restaurant/ bar to check out the Argentina v. Spain soccer game over some Quilmes (local brew of choice) and papas fritas with salsa golf (yummy tomato sauce & ketchep mixture). I loved the botanical gardens, mostly because it is host to a legion of stray cats.

After my weekend in B.A. it was onto the bus for 20 hours of amazing scenery and bad Hollywood movies dubbed into Spanish. The bus was a really comfortable double decker deal & I had the prime seat- top level, front row with 180 degrees of windows.

Riding out of B.A., we hit the pampas, endless grassy flatlands colored by a small village every hour or so. I thought I would get bored driving through the pampas, but I loved it. As the sun set and Escape to Witch Mountain with the Rock was playing, we drove into a massive thunderstorm. It became all pitch blackness punctured by these amazing flashes of light and awesome bolts of thunder.

After the storm, I managed to fall asleep pretty easily. When I woke up and peeked out the window, I saw a dome of stars outside from horizon to horizon. The only time I have seem more was in northwest Hokkaido. After a bit of a struggle, I fell asleep again and woke up in time to see the sunrise in Neuquen. Neuquen is very dry and desert like, as opposed to the pampas, but still flat and seemingly endless.

Eventually, this gave way to the mountains and rivers of northern Patagonia, another truly amazing landscape. It feels a bit otherworldly with its craggy peaks, herds of Andean camels and impossibly turquoise lakes, like stepping into Middle Earth.

Then into Bariloche, tourist central for northern Patagonia. It´s pretty, but a little too touristy for my tastes. They have this main shopping street filled with cheesy souvenier shops. I started liking it a little more as I got off the main avenues and walked along the quieter, more residential streets. I´m sure I´ll be back, as it´s the travel hub of the area and I´ll only be 2 hours away.

Tomorrow I´m getting on another bus and going to the farm in El Bolson. I´m excited and a little nervous, but mostly just looking forward to getting settled and figuring out what I´m going to be doing for the next 3 months.

Will post some images as soon as I´m on a less ghetto computer. More soon!

Comments

1

Awesome!! I just texted you a day or so ago to see how you are. Keep the stories coming and photos too!! Lots of love, E

  Erin Nov 23, 2009 6:43 AM

2

Urban! I'm so glad you loved B.A. And I'm glad you set up the blog to keep us all up to date. Take care and be well in your Pucci country clothes. KB

  Katie B. Nov 23, 2009 6:58 AM

3

Urban! I'm so glad you loved B.A. And I'm glad you set up the blog to keep us all up to date. Take care and be well in your Pucci country clothes. KB

  Katie B. Nov 23, 2009 7:07 AM

4

LOVE the blog -- keep it up. Imogen is enjoying her first, firsthand glimpse of Argentina! SO glad you're having fun!
xo-sg&ig

  Shawna & Imogen Nov 23, 2009 8:40 AM

5

Say hola to Frodo and please, please, take a picture of yourself on an Andean camel.

  Adam Nov 23, 2009 2:01 PM

6

awesome...so cool to read about your trip on here. i'm amazed at how you made the bus ride sound like a whole trip in itself.

  erica Nov 23, 2009 2:06 PM

7

Katie - great to hear that you are having such a great time. Keep up the blog.

  Scott Gordon Nov 24, 2009 1:02 AM

8

Kickass. I'm still jealous.

  Luke Nov 24, 2009 6:16 AM

9

Katie, I feel like I'm traveling along with you. Keep this blog going. This is an experience of a lifetime. I wish I could have joined you on this incredible journey...thinking of you. I am living vicariously through you. You Go Girl!!

  Vasilia Karagiorgis Nov 25, 2009 1:19 PM

10

Katie!!! This is awesome. I have to figure out how to get there for a short trip. It sounds amazing outside of BA so far!
Smooches... Chuckie

  Chuck Dec 1, 2009 10:50 PM

11

I'm so late getting to this but now I have about 16 hours to kill before a plane to Puerto Rico. Catchin' up on your adventures gives a nice warm feeling. Glad you're soaking up the beauty.

  April Dec 27, 2009 1:17 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.