Existing Member?

EscapadesAbroad With a planet as big and brilliant as ours, I find myself unable to resist seeing it all... This journal is a tool to record my experiences when I travel (which isn't often enough), and a crude tracking device for my mother to keep tabs on me.

World Youth Day

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 17 July 2008 | Views [575]

I realize my failure to consistently write about my adventures here in Sydney, but I must tell you that for the past several weeks, nothing really exciting has been happening, as preparation for final exams took up most of my time. There is a lot to be learned in two 5-week courses, and I am hoping I did very well in them. I will attempt here, as my trip nears its close, to impart to you all the very exciting things that occurred after exams, as they are many.
Finals week was overshadowed by “World Youth Day,” a week celebrating Pope Benedict’s first visit to Australia – and flooding the city with Catholics from all over the world. While I am not one to inhibit people from expressing their faith as they choose, I will say that anyone who experienced Sydney in World Youth Day mode will agree that to classify the event as an “incredible inconvenience” is an understatement. The CBD shut down as several hundred thousand “youths” (probably ranging from 8 months to 80 years) descended upon the city. They crammed the sidewalks with their matching red and orange backpacks, and carrying their native flags. As we studied in the library, we could hear them chanting as they meandered around the city, usually in groups of at least 30. Once, I was even forced to climb over their roadblock with all my books, as it was hindering my path to the train station. Needless to say, I wanted to get a little something in return for all my troubles. While an audience with his holiness was most definitely a no-go (general requirement was recent miraculous recovery from life threatening disease or accident), I thought for sure a nice photo of the man riding around the city in the Pope-Mobile wasn’t too much to ask for. 

For most of the week, the pope was “resting” in the Blue Mountains, as the pilgrims sang and learned things all day and all night. He came to Sydney on Wednesday night, to prepare for Big Thursday, when he would take a tour of the city by both “Boatercade” and Pope-Mobile.


Using the daily newspaper to chart his path through the city, I thought a nice general public spot in front of Hyde Park Barracks would give me a good view and an easy escape through the Martin Place train station. I arrive close to 3 pm, as the paper said he would likely be passing that spot between 4:30 and 5 pm. I was sorely disappointed when I realized that the “non-pilgrim” side of the street was lined with a 3-meter fence. I took my place at an empty spot next to a friendly looking couple and the wife’s mother. They were joined after a bit by their brother, 2 kids, niece and nephew. Enter Reason #1,565,009 why I love Australians.  We struck up a conversation within a few minutes, and were sharing stories and snacks faster than you could say, “the dingo ate my baby.” I have always found Australians to be the most hospitable and generous people group I have ever encountered, and generally a mere smile and g’day can easily gain you a friend for life. After waiting several hours, the pope finally did drive by, at the speed of light, and I got one horrible dark grainy photo, which I will hopefully post when I have genuine high speed internet. In the end, thankfully, it was the family that I spent those few hours with that will leave me the most memories of the Pope and his pesky World Youth Day.

Tags: people

About escapadesabroad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.