Existing Member?

Erin's Adventure to New York!

I'm here!

USA | Saturday, 29 March 2014 | Views [219]

When I first got to the city I spent the first couple of weeks just jumping around between a couple of friends’ places and working on trying to find a more permanent place to stay. I found a sublet to stay in through the end of April. It's a 2 bedroom apartment in West Harlem/Morningside Heights area at Broadway and 125th ST.  It’s close to Columbia and the Manhattan School of Music, so there are lots of people my age around all the timel.  I'm not quite getting as lost as I was the first week or so any more.  That is a big relief beause getting lost in NY is maddening.  

I’m living with a couple in their late 20s who are very nice and have been very helpful getting me used to the new space.  I don’t really have any housewares so it’s pretty fortunate I get to just steal their stuff – well, use their stuff.  I’m trying to find somewhere more permanent starting May 1.  But the housing market here is so insanely quick here that I may have to wait until it gets closer to that date to find a place. Stressful, right? 

In terms of music/theatre things I’ve been doing, I have started studying with my new Voice teacher who specializes in Musical Theatre singing.  Working with him has been so enlightening.  I can’t wait to see how my voice progresses in the coming weeks.  I’ve even found out how to sneak into some music practice rooms at Columbia, which is an awesome accomplishment that I did not expect. I’ve also been to a couple dance classes at the Broadway Dance Center and it’s been tough but the the ideal work I need right now in the dance department.  It’s also great to have a place that specializes in theatre dance since most studios I’ve been to back home just do the standard Jazz , Modern, and Ballet. 

I’ve seen a few shows here including “Antony & Cleopatra” at the Public Theatre and “Dinner with Friends” on Broadway.  But I can’t really afford to be throwing my money or time at stuff like that right now.  I’m looking for some place to work... since I don't want to wory about if I can or can't make rent.  I have a few options at my disposal right now, but I think what I’m going to try out first is waitressing and/or nannying.  (So if you know of any families in NY in need of a nanny, feel free to give them my name!) 

We’ll see how this goes...  I hope I don’t let the day job zap me of all my energy. I am trying to get used to how intense this city is.  There’s just so much happening all the time.  Good things, for sure, but it’s tough feeling grounded when there are so many different things I want to be doing, and also when I don’t have a permanent place of my own yet.  But it’s raining at the moment, so I guess it feels a little more like home today. :)

About erinherrick


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.