Existing Member?

Travels And Reflection A blog of my journeys and the lessons I've learned.

Flight Of Fancy

USA | Thursday, 6 September 2007 | Views [394]

Song Flight 2020, April 8, somewhere over Illinois

I'm currently on a Song flight from SFO to NYC. I am currently fighting sleep while Hilary Hahn's Bach Violin Concertos is playing away through the headset on the plane's great entertainment system. This is my first time on an American domestic flight so I can't compare it to Jet Blue and the others. This is a "budget" flight, meaning you have to pay for your meal if you choose to eat or for a movie, if you choose to watch. All Coca-Cola products and coffee are complimentary, though. Also free are the wide music selection and the sattelite TV. It's a good thing I ordered a club sandwich to go back at the SFO airport and it seems that the flight attendants don't mind my chomping away at it. I hope they don't charge me for corkage.

There is an attractive woman seated next to the window. She looks a bit like Sandra Bullock but a bit more exotic. I guess her smoldering dark eyes got to me. She did not sound American when she thanked me earlier for standing up to let her pass. Beside her and separating us is this sweet old lady who I obligingly helped with the entertainment system earlier. Actually, I was seriously tempted to offer the older lady my club sandwich for a seat exchange. Alas, I decided not to because I knew I wouldn't have the guts to talk to the Sandra B. lookalike.

I think I am out of the game. The boy-meets-girl game, to be more precise. Aside from this flight, there was another occasion on my trip here where I found myself tongue-tied in front of a woman. My cousin, Tina, invited a co-worker of hers to join us for dinner in SFO a couple of nights ago. Tina had mentioned a few months back that she would set me up with this particular girl. Actually, she, S, turned out to be attractive and so eerily reminded me of Dulce because of her Oriental looks. I tried to just be myself that night and attempted to make conversation with S but there wasn't a topic that would stick. It was worse than teflon, really. I then resigned myself to the fact that she just might not be interested.

I am desperately trying to keep myself awake on this flight. I've been channel surfing on the free sattelite TV trying to find a show interesting enough. However, there is none. I might as well just watch a $5 movie just to stop me from snoozing away.

Postscript

Later on, I actually get to speak to "Sandra." Well, not one-on-one, though. About an hour before reaching NYC, the three of us in our row, probably out of sheer boredom, started talking with each other. The lady beside me was from SFO and was on her way to Lebanon to visit her relatives and "Sandra" is actually an accountant on her way home to Israel and to her husband and kids. Shucks.

Tags: On the Road

About ericroa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.