Existing Member?

Dance on the edge of the world Do you want a ride on my roller coaster?

The Look of Unexpected

LAOS | Saturday, 23 May 2015 | Views [370] | Scholarship Entry

I didn't even plan to visit this country in a first place. It was a travelling gamble. I've lived in sure-fire Bangkok on semi-squat called - a promise and a curse- Overstay. So I gladly overstayed, following blissful while wandering, randomness, a queen of backpackers and artists.
I had to renew my visa by doing easy and popular "visa run" to the neighbouring country. I said bye to my crazy friends, outcasts by choice who were making this slot so special, certain I'm going to see them the next day at the party and hit a short this time, I believed, road.
I hitchhiked to the border, arrived late and asked myself: what's now?
Not thinking much I started to walk straight ahead, in a direction of a sunset. I played with a children, cheered a volleyball match...
And as usually in a moment of doubt, I've met someone. She smiled and asked where the hell I'm going as after this village there is nothing except the jungle.
And then, kind spirit and huge heart, she invited me to her place.
That's how I started to fall in love with Laos. I decided that actually it would be silly to leave without any attempt to understand what this corner of the world is all about.
What you cannot not notice, is how every part of life there is merged with spirituality. The country is immersed in Buddhism in this rare way of not having the religion, but living it. It wasn't an island on the ocean of life, it was a main drift.
Next day I went to the first temple I came across. While wandering around, trying to "feel the place", I met a young boy in monk's robe smiling in this special genuine way I quickly discovered has been characteristic of people living there. So I said straightforwardly: I want to move in here.
He laughed - You would be a first woman in the history to do so!
But then he noticed I'm serious. - You know it is against our religion, don't you?
- Well, let me speak to the "boss"- I've heard myself saying.
With the mixture of amusement and disbelief, he went to search for Sayadej, the guard of the temple. I was waiting in the warm darkness, feeling already home. And then he came. It was a long, deep sight. He wasn't saying anything for minutes which seemed like eternity. I'd swear he was screening me, reading who I am.
Then he nodded. He pulled the key out of his pocket and said: welcome. I saw the other monks gasping. And when I was going to my new room, I've heard Sayadej calling with sparks of laughter in his voice:
Do you always get what you want?

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ephemeral


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.