Existing Member?

Moving Along

First Day

COSTA RICA | Thursday, 6 January 2011 | Views [361]

Well I arrived all in one piece with only minor delays on the plane. Both flights were relatively uneventful however the 2nd one did have an odd start. For some reason they kept announcing that "this flight is going to san jose costa rica, if that is not your intended destination please come to the front of the plane" which I found rather odd since your passport was checked and your boarding pass scanned in order to get on board. How exactly would you not know which country you were going to? Slept on and off throughout most of the flight down here but was awake enough to see the water and some islands and the mainland that we flew over for a while. There is really nothing like seeing things from the air! Even flying out of Dayton just before sunrise was beautiful. All the lights glittering and a faint pink line on the horizon...then you get above the clouds and it is lighter and it is like a boiling red volcano out on the edge of the cloudline. Spectacular. I wish my camera could have captured it. 

Anyway, after a brief driving tour of the town and a bit of background from Robert (the man who owns the farm) we arrived on location. We were greeted by three little mutts which I am sure you all know made me feel better already. There are 9 other wwoofers here doing what I am doing for various amounts of time. It seems that they have all only been here since christmas so  all are relatively new. We walked around the property and I got a general idea of what all is grown and how things get done. Seems like everyone just picks a job and goes to it. So we will see how tomorrow pans out. I already have a few things that I am "assigned" to work on and am looking forward to just getting my hands dirty and working outside. From what I can tell I am the oldest wwoofer here, though you never know until you ask I suppose. Meals are sort of a group affair, I just helped a little with preparing dinner and am just waiting for it to cook right now. Apparently you just grab what sounds good from the garden and do what you want with it. No real oven, but have a stove and microwave and toaster oven to work with. So that will be a little interesting. Sleeping arrangements are bunkhouse style, though I get the mattress inside tonight since we ran out of time to get my bunk set up.

That is all I have the energy for tonight! Hopefully soon I will be able to post pictures and show you all the awesome views we have from the top of the hill here. Miss you all already. Feel free to write me however and whenever you want!

Lots of Love,

Erin

About epacker933


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.