Existing Member?

A journey is measured through friendships

The next step

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 11 December 2009 | Views [356]

It is in the hope of writing this that I find the next chapter will unfold before me. Having an abundance of ideas and so many possibilities doesn’t necessarily present us with the right path and I'm hoping the divine intervention will, well intervene.

I have just read some of the entries of travellers and had a reminiscent chuckle at the abundance of statements with which begin. "I’m alive" being the most sought after expression of reassurance to loved ones. I miss being alive. Not in the conventional sense of where yes of course I’m here and everything is fully functional. I can feel, eat, touch and breath but in the travellers sense. That early morning breeze which smells of adventure and the unknown. Choosing left or right on a map, road or path becomes a laugh a minute. The days where meals are a 'meet and greet' of new faces, a delight of shared cultures, dishes and colour. Evenings when the birds in the trees have no identifiable names and the stars take over to remind us just how mere our existence really is.

In Ireland we have the travelling community who are a nomadic race who have been forced as a minority to settle and conform with societies ridiculous rules. Much like the gypsies, they moved with the seasons and the lay of the land. Travellers were known on occasion as tinkers as they would craft using tin while travelling Ireland to make their way. Although the origin of the term is more than pleasant it has become somewhat of a stigma to be referred to as a traveller in certain parts. I always wanted a pony and trap to travel my home country. I can still here my friends’ giggles as I told them 'I was born to be a traveller'. There is so much truth in this statement.

There is nothing more incredible than discovery.

I feel man has perhaps abused this a little too much however as we all look for a slice of the cake. Sometimes we have to accept that certain parts of the earth are for the privileged few. The Antarctic is currently facing disastrous consequences from mans need to see. It’s vital that we leave only a sprinkle and not an imprint on the places we visit. Which brings me back to the question, where do I go? Where do i make a difference?

About endless_wonder


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.