Existing Member?

Life is an adventure

The Charm Of Sleeping Warrior In Gilgil

KENYA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [538] | Scholarship Entry

It was a Red-Eyed Dove that woke me. “I AM a Red-Eyed Dove, I AM a Red-Eyed Dove” he kept calling from outside the window.
“And I AM a Red-Eyed Fox” I was tempted to shout back.
It was dawn; I had gone to bed late, and sleep hadn’t come easily because there was too much to think off.
I was supposed to be back by then, to meet with a couple of friends who just had a thing or two to share. I had booked a hotel, with the room overlooking the Famous Lake Elementaita and the park. But all didn’t go well as I had planned though, there had been troubles with travelling, the roads were impassable and very dirty as such.
“I have never seen myself so enthusiastic about a place” I whispered; True, I was enthusiastic-excited even.
So I settled, breathed in to calm my nerves and rescheduled to come back in Nairobi later.
It was an excellent choice.
No, Lake Elementaita doesn’t have the history or the romance of the Hawaii beach, but the sleeping warrior and the park was an Ideal venue for me-and its setting is superb.
It is built on a leased land in the South of the Soysambu conservancy. The park lodges is set on the slopes of an extinct volcano, looking out to the sleeping warrior Mountains and beyond to the Lake and the misty blue ranges ringing Nakuru. The sleeping warrior is the name given to the mountain that looks like the head and the body of a man reclining on his back. Here, the settlers called it Lord Delameres Nose.
The park lodge was built with the local materials and local labour.The walls are of stones, the roofs are of mabati; much of the furniture is made from cedar posts. The main park has lodges with rooms and lounge with large fireplace that in the evenings is lit with logs from the surrounding leleshwa or camphor bushes. There is a smug bar, and the terraces have the rains over soysambu .Down the slope there is a heated swimming pool to cool temperature.
Along the slope there are sight rooms. Each is housed in a stone built cottage with a high-vaulted thatched roof and the balcony.
But there is something else. The experience, it is amazing. The park provides a three-and-a half-day programme.It involves an immune-boosting diet, daily yoga and meditation, spa treatment and personal fitness exercise.
I haven’t mentioned the food, it is very good. The ingredients are fresh, there are vegetarian options and everything is yummy.
The animals, the luxury camp on the lower ground and the setting is extraordinary.
It is quaint, peaceful and beautiful done.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About emmanuelomuya


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.