Existing Member?

Emmas around the world adventure!

My first week overseas

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 6 January 2011 | Views [335]

Hi everyone!

So...I'm one week down! I'm sure everyone is surprised I haven't already boarded a plane Melbourne bound. To be quite honest, so am I! But my plan is to take one day at a time and see how I go.

So.... a rough outline of week one!

Monday: After a fourteen hour plane ride, arrived at Buenos Aires airport. Andrew picked me from up from the airport. My first impressions of BA were HOT, humidity, crammed together, dirty and a little bit like Asia. We took several buses to our hostel (Millhouse hostel) and I immediatly regretted learning NO spanish and was quite surprised that Andrew had picked up quite a bit! We spent the afternoon eating out and then I had a very big siesta. That night we met up with some friends and made our way to a famous restaurant were we endowered the LARGEST and juiciest steak you could imagine. Dad, you would have loved it! Dinner was not until 12:30pm- just the standard dinner time in  BA...and I struggled not to fall asleep at the table!

Tuesday: Having a 5am start, meant I didn't get much sleep! We checked out of the hostel got cabs to the Ferry station...for our trip to Uruguay. Going through customs was a little bit scary...the man spoke to me in Spanish, and when I looked at him with a blank look he got quite cross and spoke to me really sarcastically and aggresively. It gave me quite a shock and  so I have really been trying to learn the language, although it is really hard and I just want to speak French instead!

Anyway, arrived in Urguguay finally and it is AMAZING. I'm serious. It is where all the rich Argentinians and Brazillians flock to over New Years...and they all own these stunning beach houses...that look like something out of a magazine. It really reminded me of Greece or Italy or even England, some of the places were so cottage like with beatiful manicured gardens. Jo, you actually would have loved it. And there were all these gorgeous antique shops and intertior shops with some really cool stuff.

Wednesday: My friend Kate arrives! So exciting! We have bbq at the hostel with MEAT galore. We go out that night to Punta Del Este....the main town. We dont get there until after 1am and it is incredible that theightlife really doesnt start until after 2am. People are still having dinner then?! Weird.

Thursday: Emily arrives! We hit the beach, the weather is beautiful everyday.

Friday: New Years Eve. We go out for dinner to this lovely restaurant (big group of 12/13) and have a three course meal followed by unlimited drinks, and then go to a nightclub! We get home at 9am! Lots of fun!

Saturday: Sleep until 3pm. Early dinner. bed!

Sunday: Last day in Uruguay. Go the a beach called 'bikini beach' and meet lots of people. At about 7pm, a big dance party begins which is really fun until a boy kicks my finger when going for a ball, and I'm pretty sure it's broken! Anyway, its getting better gradually...think its just a sprain!? I hope?!

Monday and Tuesday: After two hours sleep, leave Uruguay and get on a 2 hour bus/three hourferry/ 17 hour bus to Iguazu falls in Argentina.

wednesday: We went to Iguazu falls, biggest falls in the world. Beauiful. Go on a boathich goes straight under them.

And here I am!

So far, I am having a ball. Missing everyone one lots and will keep in touch as much as I can!

xoxoxoxox

 

About emmaneal


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.