Existing Member?

Our Adventures

Good Morning Vietnam!

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 13 January 2015 | Views [374]

Arrived in Ho Chi Minh and stayed in a hotel next to the airport. The room was cheap but didn't expect it to come with cobwebs and black mould, Sarah had a word and we were given a room in the new part of the hotel, which was much better 😀. We spent the afternoon searching for somewhere to eat and planning our time in Vietnam.

The next day we headed back to the airport and flew to Can Dao Island. We finally made it to an island and no traumatic boat journeys this time just a pleasant hours flight! We're staying in a triangle shaped bungalow with a sea view 😀. The island is quiet, with lots of mountains and beautiful turquoise sea, unfortunately it's winter here (the temperature has dropped to a meer 26-30 degrees!) so its very windy with rough seas which means no boat trips or snorkelling for us. We finished the day with a short walk across the road to a local Vietnamese restaurant the receptionist suggested. It was kind of like a small open warehouse, with plastic chairs, strip lights and a line of tanks with various fish waiting to be picked for someone's dinner! We played safe with seafood noodles and rice - avoiding the fish head hot pot, sea snake & snails.....not a place we want to go back to!

On our second day we explored the small town of Can Dao, found the local market and stocked up on fresh fruit then headed to the local shop and brought picnic provisions to go with the fruit😀. We then spent the afternoon learning about the islands history at the museum, looking around the old prison buildings and tiger cages. The island might be beautiful but it has a dark and sad history. 

About emmaandsarah


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.