Existing Member?

nomad adventures "bike, paddle and adventure - that´s what life is all about!" emma & scott

Sun, glaciers and an exploded radiator

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 20 January 2010 | Views [794] | Comments [1]

Finally the sun is shining on us (most of the time, at least …), with only the occasional down pour.

We ran the Dart-Rees trail, with a side trip up to the Cascade Saddle, covering 100 km in 3 days. Lots of sun and incredible high alpine glacial scenery.  To make it more multisporty, we paddled the last 35 km back to civilization on the Dart River (class 2 rapids), then biked back to get our car. The paddle was delayed by 12 hours due to wind (surprise!). The late afternoon wind nearly blew us out of our boats. This led to a 10 minute downriver paddle, followed by a 1 hour portage back to the car (tramping through a braided river, a grassland, a creek and finally a swamp (Björn -- if you think swamp running is good training, try lifting a kayak through one …).  So we jumped in our boat at 7 am the next morning and had a nice calm paddle…

Then we made the long-drive to Milford Sound. We ran the beautiful milford track on a hot summer afternoon, after trying to paddle the fjord, but as usual, it was too windy!! So we got up early the next morning to paddle through glassy waters surrounded by the majestic peaks out to a beautiful waterfall. Even Norway's fjords aren't this overwhelming (or maybe they are…)  (Beth - we made the same tour 12 years ago !).

Then the unexpected … while climbing steeply out of Milford Sound in our van, our radiator exploded -- literally exploded. Rusty-colored water shooting out the hood and lots of smoke: a spectacular road-side attraction for all the passing tour buses. We hitched a ride to the highway satelite phone (no cell reception out there) and called our auto insurance place. They showed up with a tow truck in a few hours and towed us back to town for free (joining the NZ AA club was worth every penny !). Now we're waiting to see what a new radiator will cost… Involontary but very nice rest day by Lake Te Anau!

Speaking of smoke coming out of our car … We somehow neglected to share this story: About three weeks ago we pulled over in a panic when we saw white smoke  pouring out of our hood.  Scott threw open the hood and found a flaming roll of toilet paper on the engine block -- yep, the same toilet paper he had used to check the oil 3 days earlier.  Miraculously, it took 300 km of driving before it ignited :)

We have not yet grown tired of our oatmeal (breakfast), peanut butter & jelly or tuna & egg (lunch), and pasta (dinner) … well, not too tired of it. Oh, and not to forget - a lot of really yummy kiwis and apricots straight from the fields. 

We've driven over 3,000 km so far, sharing the road with sheep, cows and even the occasional fallen tree (see picture).  Luckily the NZ farmers have good control over all of the above.

So … we have collect our best pictures to illustrate -- instead of describe -- what we've been doing. Click on the link "New Zealand 3"

Till next time....

Scott and Emma

Comments

1

Long time since we heard from you. You have a lot of beautiful pictures, I wish I was there with you! NZ has so much adventures you can do...

I'm looking forward to hear about your coast to coast preparations and of course about the race! Good luck!

  Mattias Feb 6, 2010 7:25 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.