Existing Member?

Like a Fart In a Windstorm Tripping around the Southern United States Of America.

Full Moon and a day of groceries

USA | Wednesday, 18 June 2008 | Views [238]

Grocery shopping for 30 people is kind of fun. We went to 4 different spots to do pricing. My main concern: eliminate, or at least minimize, Common Ground's reliance on Spraulmart (aka Walmart). A lot of folks just assume that they have the cheapest prices - perhaps because of the promotions and the atmosphere of discount. They say that they have the cheapest, and so them must, right? Well not always.

I love the challenge of the hunt for good, ethical, cheap deliciousness. We went to a wholesale produce distributor. It was a hole in the wall in the Marigny neighbourhood - I had sure never noticed it before. It was a big warehouse with pallettes covered in crates of fresh fruits and veggies. They gave us their price list and we placed our order. They then proceded to give us 5 crates of onions that were going off and let us help ourselves to the mass of tomatoes where a few had gone mouldy. It was incredible. We left with more onions or tomatoes then we could ever use in time. Oh, and we bought portabello mushrooms at a good price! I am gonna cook those babies up with some red wine. Mmmyummy.


Well, I've got to get onto making some lunch. I may make some gazpacho with the excess of tomatoes ... also tomatoe sauce to freeze.
Adios : D

Tags: solidarity not charity

About emilygreen


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.