Existing Member?

A little bit of everything!

Budapest

HUNGARY | Tuesday, 11 November 2014 | Views [296]

Packed up our dewy tents and headed for Budapest today! Quick stop for tuna wraps at a rest stop then the rest of the day was driving..got to Budapest (Buda on one side of the river and Pest on the other) and were driven around the main sights to get our bearings..stopped at Buda castle (Fishermans Bastion and Mathias church) and climbed to the top for some pretty sweet views then headed to the outskirts of town to our campsite..which was a breeding ground for mosquitoes!! We threw the footy for a bit, did some washing, had a traditional rice and chicken paprika dish, finally did a 'newbies' intro (as we'd gotten more new people that day), sung along to camp songs with jack, chatted with mex and jack then went to bed!
Free day today to go sightseeing..had yummy sausage and mushrooms for brecky and Elle and I went in a bit after everyone else as we didn't want to rush..caught the train to the centre (across the river from the impressive parliament building), walked across the chain bridge to the pest side and met the others at the house of terror museum...wasn't keen for that so mex, Elle and I found a cute cafe and chilled for a bit..then the three of us had lunch with T and Nicole and wandered around beautiful Budapest..went and saw the shoe memorial (moulds of shoes of jews that had been killed and thrown in the river :() and the stunning basilica..which had the preserved hand of a king on display :/ had some amazing gelato in the shape of a flower..walked across to the other side of the river to an incredible church built in to the wall..Elle, T and Nicole went and got a massage whilst mex and I enjoyed the view from the bridge and walked through the markets..Elle found us again and we went to an awesome colourful cafe for a beer..got changed and went to meet everyone else for dinner..shared a giant schnitzel with Elle and once everyone was pretty merry we moved on to a dive bar..it was really cool and alternatively decorated, like a Melbourne bar on steroids! Elle and I had a disgustingly strong Hungarian shot, hung out for a bit longer then mex and I left as we were buggered..we walked with some of the others for agggges and then just missed the last train! But we were able to get a couple of buses and the walk was worth it to see the city lit up at night..Elle stayed out with some of the others and didn't get home til 5/6am..crazy kid!

 

About emily_witenden


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.