Existing Member?

A little bit of everything!

Croatia

CROATIA | Monday, 10 November 2014 | Views [240]

Another big day of driving today..pretty crazy windy narrow roads..we all had to get off the bus at one stage as the breaks had overheated and it was smoking..had an awesome lunch time stop in budva, Montenegro..beautiful place by the water..walked along the sea, through the beautiful old town, had gelato and a kebab for lunch..back on the bus for another couple of hours driving before coming in to stunning Croatia (three countries in one day!!)..absolutely beautiful driving in to Dubrovnik, with the medieval buildings set against the sparkling sea..we set up camp (first time yet and Elle and I rocked!) in the dark and had another delicious Katie meal (pasta) before heading in to town..had a brief walking tour if the stunning ancient city..learnt about recent wars and saw the set of game of thrones..we then went to a cool nightclub and got to know the crew a bit better..got the last bus home and stargazed outside a while (I saw a shooting star! 'Twas a special night) before heading to bed..
There were a few sore heads this morning but it was a free day so we all headed in to the city..mex, Elle and I decided to spend our money on a kayaking tour rather than climb the city wall so we left some others and went and found a cute cafe up an alleyway..walked around the old town, had some lunch then headed to meet for our tour..mex partnered up with a random girl and off we went! It was hard work (''twas super windy) but awesome to see the city aka 'kings landing' from the sea..we stopped and snorkeled and mex and I scaled a cliff (friggen scary, there was hardly anything to hold on to and it was windy) and jumped 10m into the sea! Needless to say I got the biggest wedgie of my life and had a sore bum :| but talk about an awesome adrenalin rush! we continued kayaking around an island and went in to a massive cave which was apparently cursed (something like if you lived on the island you got bad luck)..slightly sunburnt with sore arms we made it back..'twas money well spent :) walked around and saw the set and props for GoT which was pretty cool..even though we were a but wet and cold we went and found a cliff bar (cafe budiva) Elle's mum had told us about, which was incredible! Literally built in to the side of a cliff..mex bought us a beer and we watched the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen..even had ships etc sailing by..time for a bit of reflection..even more cold now we had a quick bite to eat before heading back to defrost and snuggle up!!
Sad to leave Dubrovnik today (definitely one of my favourite cities) but excited to remain in Croatia to go to Plitvice National Park..had an afternoon stop in Zadar which was a cool seaside town..had a random 'sea organ', literally someone had designed an organ that the waves from the sea played..music from the ocean :) we all chilled together for a bit, walked through markets, had a look at roman ruins and stood around the pole of shame then headed back to the bus..couple of hours drive later we arrived at our campsite, which reminded me a lot of canada..mountains, loads of pine trees, freezing..threw the footy, had delicious burritos and tacos for tea, played beer pong and Elle's game then settled in for a frreeeeezing nights sleep..even wore my jeans to bed :|
Not well rested we got up and headed to the lakes..which were stunning! Crystal clear water, the fish you could see literally looked like they were flying..and such beautiful turquoise colours..we walked around for the day, along the lakes and up and down the meandering hills..checked out the waterfall, at which Elle and I did a cheeky 'boobs to the world' pic and mex did a speedos shot ;) got the ferry back over and headed back to the campsite..had a yummy chicken dish for dinner followed by heated bananas with melted mars bars in them (yum!! Might've had seconds..)...followed by another cold nights sleep!! Least I'm getting the wear out of those heavy winter clothes..although missing those boots I gave away in Portugal :S loving stunning, chilly Croatia...

 

 

About emily_witenden


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.