Existing Member?

Emily's Adventures

Berlin

GERMANY | Wednesday, 1 August 2012 | Views [625] | Comments [1]

 We woke up early ready to go on our walking tour only to find it pouring with rain- so as dedicated tourists we went back to sleep until midday- oops. By the time we were ready to start our day the rain had stopped. So off we went to a big outdoor market in Berlin. We caught the tram- the ticket system wasn’t very obvious so we got on and had no idea how to buy a ticket so we watched a few people get on and no-one paid. So we asked someone if the tram was free on Sundays. "no" was the reply- but still no one paid- so when in Berlin do as the locals do, and don't pay either. We got to the market which was absolutely huge and being a Sunday was second hand day. We got lunch in the beer garden and then began to weave the rows of tents. Also on Sunday is a huge karaoke event in the park next door- there were hundreds of people over there watching it, and just as we began to walk over to check it out the rain starts to absolutely bucket down. I was the only one of us who had no umbrella or rain jacket- they were both tucked safely away in the hostel- silly me. So I tried to share Steph’s umbrella- we had a bit of a walk through the rain- it was like west coast rain. We finally got in the shelter of the tram and while we were on it the rain got even heavier. Once of the tram I decided it would be easier just to run to the hostel with no protection from the rain. When I got to the hostel foyer my nose had water dripping off it- from the rain, because my hair was so wet- just to clarify. We dried off and watched a little bit of the Olympics on the projector screen in the hostel- but women’s weight lifting wasn’t really my thing. We went next door to the hostel for Indian and then went on our pub crawl. Well when they said pub crawl they really do mean pubs. The group on the pub crawl were the only people in the pubs- so when we left they completely emptied out. The pub crawl wasn’t really worth it- as we were told Berlin had a really good nightlife- and we definitely didn’t experience it. The next morning the sun was shining and this time we made it to the walking tour- jess and katane were running late so ended up in a different tour. Steph and I walked and walked and walked and listened and listened for 5 hours straight. My feet were about to fall off by the time we reached the hostel. It was a very interesting tour to learn about the war and visit the important sights of Berlins history- but man this guy could talk- by the end of it we were absolutely knackered mentally and physically- the others only made it through the first hour of their tour and left- we decided walking tours may not be for us :). We went for tea at a Singapore/ Thai/ Vietnamese restaurant- it was a lovely looking restaurant. The food was amazing but we could have shared the dishes because none of us even finished half of our food- there was sooo much food it was crazy. We got home and once again had to pack to move to our next destination- Prague.

Comments

1

Delightfull

  Mark Aug 1, 2012 6:17 AM

About emily_b


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.