Existing Member?

Postcards from... somewhere...

Minus 3 days...

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 11 July 2009 | Views [288]

Minus 3 days to my flight to Thailand... My life is packed into a 75 square foot storage locker in Hammersmith (and it is FULL!) and a 70 litre backpack (which isn’t absolutely full and weighs 17.2kg – feels like 117 though!)...  Limbo right now.   Sitting at Tinto’s coffee on the Fulham Palace Road, feeling a bit chilly as it’s not quite warm enough anymore to be wearing no jacket...  Waiting.  Waiting to hear what is happening to the latest in the car saga, waiting to get the car back so I can drive to the events I have planned for the weekend.  Waiting to hear from my IFA re. my new life policies.  Waiting for my flat to be professionally cleaned.  There is nothing else to do, no place else to go.  (Well, I could go back to Van’s flat but not until the waiting is sorted out...)  Limbo.  I don’t know how I feel.  I don’t know why I’m going, but I don’t have a reason to stay.  From a practical perspective it’s a no-brainer.  Much cheaper and more sensible to travel in cheap countries, gaining new experiences and memories than to pay exorbitant rents in London whilst not working.  And I always wanted to travel, I was going to do it after uni and took the job at NatWest because it paid more than McDonalds.  But then I got caught up in career, love and marriage.  So, now seems like a good time to do it, no ties, got some cash.  Am I running away?  The career has dried up, I’ve had enough of what I was doing and I don’t know what I want to do next.  Life seems mundane, pointless, futile.  You wake up, you struggle through the day, sometimes you laugh, sometimes you cry, but everything stays the same.  So, a change is good.  One of my favourite songs, Bittersweet Symphony says it best.  So, take a break, recharge the batteries, get a different perspective.  Seems like a plan.  Am I running towards something?  Will I find my destiny?  I don’t know.  Does it matter?  Time will tell... 

About emily_abroad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.