Existing Member?

Worldwide Steps

Georgetown- Day 5-6

MALAYSIA | Monday, 25 May 2015 | Views [293]

We only spent one full day on Penang island which we spent in Georgetown. As soon as we arrived we noticed Georgetown is such a mishmash of different cultures and architecture, driving down a road you could believe you were in London.

 

The night we arrived we did very little however our only full day there we explored the area for sights. We were staying on Love Lane and using our free George Town exploration guide we realised we were close to a lot. We saw Goddess of Mercy Temple (No 7) surrounded by chinese looking stalls selling incense (it has another name here but i can't remember at the moment). We found that compared to some of the temples in Thailand this was much more of an active temple so we felt a little uncomfortable taking pictures inside the building. Outside giant incense sticks were burning along with smaller versions. Along the same road we stopped at St George's Church (No 6) opposite High Court. Felt odd being in a very British looking church on pretty much the other side of the world. From here we walked along Esplanade to see The Cenotaph (No 3), a war memorial near City Hall. Where we spent most of our time was at Fort Cornwallis (No 2). Spending a fair bit of time looking at cannons, the largest and most famous carrying the east India trading company logo. Apparently all the cannons were taken off pirates so there's a range of different looks and types. From the Fort you get a good view of Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Clocktower (No 1). We continued down the road until we got to Little India (No 10) where we bought 'Indian' mango (I am not a huge mango fan but this was delicious).

 

This was the last part of our Places of Interest part of the map but we headed into the street art area and saw a number marked on our map and a selection of new ones.

As soon as we entered the area we saw Kids on Bicycle (A) a old bike on a wall with the street art added to make it seem as though they are cycling. We also saw Lion Dance (N). It was easy to miss stuff as they were down the side and front of houses . 

Tags: fort, georgetown, history

About emiliepb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.