Existing Member?

Worldwide Steps

Cameron Highlands- Day 11- 15

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 4 June 2015 | Views [328]

The journey to the highlands was one of our most difficult. Leaving Pangkor was difficult and from Lumut we had to wait over an hour to catch our bus to Ipoh to catch another bus. We had no clue which bus was ours and got delayed in Ipoh. Finally arriving at Tanah Rata late at night we were greeted with rain and cold weather. Luckily we were able to stay at Kang Travellers Lodge (Daniel’s Lodge). A huge part of the cuisine here was Indian, so not for the first time we feasted on naan bread.

Although we were staying in the Cameron Highland's during the holiday season (the guide saying it will be packed out) we never felt like the small towns were packed with people. Although a number of people stopped at the lodge and were unable to get a room during our stay.

 

Our first day we went to the Big Red Strawberry Farm (free entry). We walked past rows of strawberries and able to walk along lettuce plants. We stopped at the farms strawberry packed cafe, here enjoying strawberry and chocolate fondue, strawberry lassi (a yogurt blended drink), scones and tea. The shop was a mishmash of different strawberry themed items.

From here we walked back towards Tanah Rata and went along path 4. We got caught in an extremely heavy downpour and stopped for shelter under little huts along the path. Although the guide says it goes past a waterfall, we never saw it from the path.

 

Second day we went out hiking again on path 1, ascending Gunung Brinchang- 2000m-high and the highest road in Peninsular Malaysia. The walk was absolutely beautiful, the clouds casting a mist around the trees. Although we heard many monkeys in the trees, unlike other areas we'd been we never caught a glimpse of them. The walk wasn't easy being mainly uphill and a clamber up muddy rooted hills, but the views are worth it. Some parts of the walk near the top were open and on a clear day the views would have been spectacular, instead we got an eery sheet of whiteness blocking all view down the edge except the greyish silhouettes of trees, with only a flimsy rope stopping you falling off the edge. When we reached the hut at the top we were disappointed there wasn't a clear view, down the road there's a radio tower like structure and up here is where you get beautiful views over the mountains. Although it was extremely cloudy so our view wasn't as good as it could have been, we luckily managed to get a window for the views and picture taking. We started our walk back to our lodge but luckily an Austrian couple gave us a lift back as they knew our journey back would be difficult- without them we would have been walking home at night.

 

Our third day we used to relax and recover.

 

Last day in the highlands we did what you can't miss- seeing a tea plantation (for us this was the Boh plantation). With a cafe with an outdoor deck looking out over the tea plants it's beautiful (although packed). We intended to get a tour of the factory and see the tea process however they had finished making tea for the day so we only got a quick walk through the factory. Other than seeing the factory, the cafe (and its views) and the shop there is little else to do. The better photos of the plantation where taken walking along the road back towards the main road. Here we saw wedding photos taking place amongst the tea plants. The views of the plantation are amazing, part of the trip I am delighted we did.

Tags: boh tea plantation, cameron highlands, strawberry farm, trekking

 

About emiliepb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.