Existing Member?

The long way home 3 months of travel from London - Sydney via Asia - where the bananas are cheap, the sun always shines (except when it rains) and everything it possible... for a price!

Terracotta Warriors

CHINA | Friday, 12 October 2007 | Views [662]

We left Deng Feng at 5am in the morning and headed to Xi'an. I have to admitt that this was no easy feat for me considering that every part of my body was aching due to my day of kung fu. When I say every part I literally mean every part - including my fingers. Rod had to help me lift my back pack every time I needed to put it on!

We got to Xi'an and it was raining, in fact it hasn't stopped raining for 4 days now and I am getting a little tired of having wet feet. It is also really cold. Thank God I brought my jeans (thanks Lucy!!!)I've also developed a bit of a cold

Anyway - the main reason for being in Xi'an was to visit the terracotta warriors so we joined a day trip and off we went.

The site is not exactly as I had pictured it, it is mainly like an archeological site, still in the process of being excavated. Apparently they are hoping that within about 100 years that scientists should have the technology to unearth some of the warriors without them losing their colourings as at the moment once they are exposed to light the painting on the figures fades quickly. The central tomb has not yet been excavated as scientists have not yet worked out the best way to do this and besides it is surrounded in mercury whi ch is poisenous. I think it shows amazing restraint that some eager archeologist hasn't just though damn it - and gone right ahead. It must be very frustrrating knowing that the technology to unearth the rest of the treasures will not exist in your lifetime and you will therefor never know what was inside!!!!

We also visited some hot springs that were fed from volcanic springs just outside of Xi'an. Unfortunately we couldn't swim in these though - I've no idea why not and since it is feezing cold and wet, it would have made a perfect afternoon!!

Tonight it's off to Cheng Du to see some pandas among other things.

Tags: Sightseeing

About emadilema


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.