Existing Member?

The long way home 3 months of travel from London - Sydney via Asia - where the bananas are cheap, the sun always shines (except when it rains) and everything it possible... for a price!

Everybodies kung fu fighting

CHINA | Monday, 8 October 2007 | Views [5733] | Comments [12]

Another early start and we boarding what is apparently the best train in China in order to leave Beijing and head to Zheng Zhou which is on route to Shaolin for some kung fu action!

We arrived in Zhen Zhou and on first impression it did not seem to be any less populated than Bejing. We finally found a bus that would take us to Dong Feng and we were on our way. Both the rough guide and the lonely planet describe Deng Feng as a small town consisting of one street, and containing little more than kung fu accessory shops. So imagine our surprise when we arrived in a bustling town with a population of 640,000!!! What the????

Finding a hotel was interesting... despite the fact the town is at the base of the Song Shan mountain (where the Shaolin temple is) there seems to be no other wetserners in the entire town and therefore very few hotels. We met a friendly conceirge from the one hotel (out of our price range) and he sorted us out with a cheaper room. In fact he has not really left our side since we arrived... he keeps turing up at our hotel door and asking if we need anything which is slightly annoying, but on the plus side he did help us to organise tickets to an amazing show - I think it was called the zen music and light show, which was set at the base of a mountain. It was truly amazing and included kung fu, dance, music and singing.

The next day was headed to the Shaolin temple in the pouring rain. It was a shame that the weather was so shite because although we were on the top of the mountain we could barely see each other let alone anything that resembled a view. The temple is really touristy and very new - most of it was only built under 10 years ago but it was still pretty cool to be there. There was a Shaolin ku fu show and we saw boys aged about 3 years old doing the most amazing things with looks of such concertration on their little faces. I am sure they would be horrified that instead of finding them scary, I thought they were the cutest thing I've ever seen and just wanted to take one home!!!

I managed to organise a day at a wu su school for today and got up at 6.30 in order to get to the school at 8am to start class. I arrived dressed in my sheffield wednesday football shirt and some yoga trousers (with my new friend the conceierge) to meet my instructor. He spoke barely a word of English so the conceirge translated and it was pretty obvious that he wasn't sure I was going to be able to make the grade! He told me that kung fu is really hard work and I might not be able to accept this. I tried my best to assure him I was well hard and a day of kung fu was no worries and eventually he agreed to take me and the conceirge left. So there I was in a training room with my coach, on my own trying to work out what the hell I was doing.

Firstkly he made me run about a million laps of the training room and then it was time for some stretches. He seemed impressed with my stretching ability, so I thought that was a good sign. Anyone that knows me will also know that the fact that this man thought I was not going to be able to cope with a day of training made me determined to prove that I was no softy and I punched, kicked and stretched like never before to prove to him I could be the next kung fu master. As a result, by the time the other students arrived at 9am I was absolutely knackered and thought fuck.... I can't do this till 5pm!!!!

I was in a training room with the other international students and we were split up into groups of between 3 and about 8, each with our own instructor. In my group there was a frech Canadian guy and a guy from Mongolia. All up there was about 35 students and only 3 of us were girls.

I can without hesitation say that day has been the hardest day of physical activity that I have ever endured!!! Every part of my body currently hurts and I suspect just getting out of bed tomorrow will nearly kill me but it was a brilliant day and I am so glad I did it!!!!

Throughout the day I learnt a sequence of punches, kicks, odd standing on one leg like a bird type positions and contourting my body into the most unatural shapes imaginable! I was very pleased when the instructor told me I train kung fu good and most people take 3 days to learn what I did in 1 day!!! That showed him!!!! Now I'm going to try and hobble back to my hotel - god knows how I will manage to climb the stairs, and crawl into bed where I plan to lie as still as possible for the next 8 hours. Another 5 am start tomorrow as we head to Xi'an...... I feel like I might die......

Tags: Adrenaline

Comments

1

a. love kung fu

  mahmmad Aug 5, 2008 3:09 AM

2

I have all ways wanted to go karatie lessons but as soon as I went on this websit I wanted to learn Kung Fu. I have seen Kung Fu panda it is realy good

  Robertson James Aug 22, 2008 1:13 PM

3

haha i'm going there :) my brother is already there =.= one of the masters invited us...but he's gonna work us like dogs =.=;; i'm so scared! hope you're still surviving if you're still there o-o which i doubt.

  Saera Jun 22, 2009 12:36 PM

4

I like kung fu for my live. I like to learn but the problem is our country Djibouti there is no school of karate kung fuu
please help me the images how some one learn.and I try how to learn without teacher.

  mohamed omar Sep 1, 2009 12:46 AM

5

wana learn kung fu

  Ankur Nov 23, 2009 9:05 PM

6

I love kung fu....... & It's stile....
I like Drunkan stile....

  ravi Apr 3, 2010 8:37 PM

7

I'm happy todescover kung fu fighter as it's my domain and ilike it. Please send me documentations or fichies to perform this martial art.

  kasisa Jul 22, 2010 10:17 AM

8

Thinks a lot, for this martial art. For me, now i'll cotiniou myway, as it's long.

  kasisa Jul 22, 2010 10:31 AM

9

Send me documentation about kung fu figting, please to consolidate and reinforce my physics, technics in such domain.

  kasisa Jul 22, 2010 10:48 AM

10

Please i'd like to learn more in kung fu. How can you facilitate me?

  kasisa Jul 28, 2010 7:08 AM

11

It's good to add mycomments. So, the best one is to watch, hear and listen how you are practice this martial Art, as, you have got my Email address, it is very easy to send me Fichies,books,all documentations about kung fu figting.

  kasisa Jul 28, 2010 7:28 AM

12

شكرا على صور الجميلة

  abdo wushu Sep 10, 2012 9:15 PM

About emadilema


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.