Existing Member?

What if?

On the road to Omapere.

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 30 December 2007 | Views [583]

We have now booked our way right through to 1st January 2008 so we have no room for change of plans, sorry to say; but we can always return to a place if we like it. Omapere is possibly one of those places, the drive over took us right past Waipoua Forest; a must ‘stop’ if your over that way we have been told on many occasions. Asking ourselves what all the fuss is about was soon to answered, the ‘fuss’ is about the sudden almost instant change in scenery from flowing Green hills to the lush Green Trees, Ferns and many other large plants that you pass on your ‘twist & turn’ drive through this beautiful National Park. Along this state highway you have a couple of stops to see the Kauri trees, large trees that were almost wiped out by the various ‘wood’ trades over the pass 200 years. Did I say large, sorry meant to say HUGE trees, these things could be described as Majestic samples of Mother Nature’s ability to put humans in their place on her planet. The photo yet again doesn’t do the experience justice, to be standing in front of a 2000 year old thing which is still growing; to listen and smell the forest in the presence of this ‘Majestic sample’ is something that can’t be explained on paper. We arrived at the hostel a little too late to have a go at the ‘sand boarding’ that evening, but we booked it for the following day and settled in chatting about the trees and how they make you feel ‘small’. We headed out to Opononi to catch the ferry over to the sand dunes for our day of boarding, in brief; without doubt the best $20 we’ve spent over here. Heading head first down a 70 mtr’ slope towards the sea and then skimming another 15 mtr’s across before you sink into lovely warm water up to your waist is so much fun. We spent an hour sand boarding down the slope with what is a standard body/boogie board, went for a 2 hour hike up and over the dunes towards the sand stone structures; sand boarded back down and spent another hour heading head first down the slopes again. When we arrived back at the hostel our hearts sank, there in front of us were the loudest and biggest group we had seen at one place; it was obvious from the beginning that they not only knew each other but were on a mission. It turned out that the mission was to have the best Kiwi Christmas work do that they could have, and NO ONE was going to stop it; with ‘chilly’ bins full of beer and BBQ at the ready the ‘starting pistol’ went as soon as they had landed. We introduced ourselves to not appear rude, but we were not prepared for their response; they asked or rather ‘demanded’ we join them. What a night! Andy and I were the judges of their ‘skit’ show (talent show in UK), it consisted of 3 acts all doing something Christmas related; they all put a lot of effort into this evening and it was great to see and join into. They were all from Kamo Post store, and their partners were also invited to make it a fun family affair and without the slightest bit of hesitation they invited us and a couple of German girls to join in; we are so glad we did. It’s a shame the young girls didn’t, but at least we made the UK proud by staying until the final Kiwi called it a day and went to sleep. In the morning they were up at the crack of dawn, all taking walks or BBQ’ing their breakfast. I can honestly say, they were the friendliest group we have ever come across; not only to ask that we join them but to invite us down to see them all again. If we hadn’t booked for Christmas and New Year, we would have accepted their invitations to join them; at some point in the evening we were invited to everyone’s home for both events to join the family occasion. They even slipped a present into our food tub without us knowing in the morning, we opened our tub to find 4 big, thick steaks for us to enjoy. We have a bet with Lin that we would not go down to see them, the bet? A cup of Hot Chocolate and a piece of Chocolate cake, Lin you’ve lost that one; I’d travel anywhere for a FREE Hot Choc’ and piece of cake. If you do read this Lin, thank you and everyone else so much for an evening we needed and see you soon.

Tags: Laughter

 

About em-and-andy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.