Existing Member?

What if?

Kuaotuna (Coromandel Peninsula)

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 30 December 2007 | Views [719]

Our hostel, Black Jacks was again a great place; only a 50 mtr’ walk from the sea and only a 100 mtr’ walk away from the BEST Ice Cream ever (more of that later)  Taking the new advice from our Hostel host, we went back down to the Hot water beach to have a go at finding the Springs.  The springs that are on this beach, if we can find them?  Are located in 2 small areas on the beach at low tide, that’s where went wrong the previous day; we arrived too late.  We arrived this time a little too early, but armed with the new information we braved the swarms of ‘tourist’ and tried our luck.  After what seemed to be an age we had still not found anything, then as we were leaving Em shouted that where she had walked the Sea was warmer; it was where an English gent had said he ‘burnt his feet’ We thought he was joking, as we were all stood around in the cool Sea, digging our feet into the sand at various places; we didn’t even bother to go over to that spot until we had to walk passed in order to get back to the Bug.  Em was right, it was warmer and he was right it did BURN your feet.  I’ll try to explain, the springs are very localised and you need to be on target in order to get one. I was stood next to Em in cool sea water, but Em was screwing her face up in pain due to the unbearable ‘HOT’ water. Yes Em and I were stood next to each other, shoulder to shoulder; I in cool Sea water Em with her feet ‘burning’ Well as much as it was lovely stood in the Hot Spring water, it was getting a little too crowded for us.  We were advised to go and see Cathedral Cove, a small beach only accessible by a ½ hour easy walk; well easy when they are not ripping up and replacing the walkway.  But I’m sure you will look at the photos and agree that the ‘easy’ walk is well worth the effort to see such a lovely place.  We had a good few days here, but not until our last evening did we try the local Ice cream; both Em and I thoroughly P**sed off that we didn’t try it earlier.  We both opted for a ‘scoop’ in a waffle cone, their measures of ‘scoop’ are a little larger than the UK’s; a ‘scoop’ was in fact 4 large scoops of Ice cream all struggling to keep a grip of the cone.  You have no time to waste eating this ‘pile’ of Ice cream, pucker up and lick for England; Hmmmmmmmmmmm.  After this huge effort and not a drop spilt we would like to add; we had to head out on our way to the Northland area of New Zealand.  Not long until Christmas, and we are spending it surround by the Sea, Surf and hopefully Sun.

Tags: Relaxation

 

About em-and-andy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.