Existing Member?

What if?

Bay of Plenty, Opotiki

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 8 December 2007 | Views [939] | Comments [1]

We had arrived on a Saturday late afternoon, both tired from the days drive; we settled into our beach view room with ease and started to mingle with our new neighbours.  Mingling with a small group of Germans who all work together at the local Kiwi farm is a little difficult, but us being the ever ‘quiet’ couple we are after a couple of beers soon blended in to their evening of celebration.  It transpired that they had the weekend off and that day they had been out fishing with the boss of the Farm on his boat, the reason for their celebration?  The biggest hoard of Red Snapper fish that the Hostel owner Steve had ever seen, estimated at 50 kg’s of fish if not more.  Although when divided up they got a couple of big fish each, by this time all filleted and being BBQ’d by Steve; the next news from Steve was ‘crash down to Earth’.  I think they beer flowed after they received this ‘crash down to Earth’ It being that the $ per Kg that fresh Red Snapper can go for in The Bay of Plenty area; up to $33.00 (£13.20 ish) Per Kilo.  When they realised they had just BBQ’d their share of at least a weeks wage between them, they had no choice but to ‘enjoy’ the evening ahead; we left them to it and retired to a very welcoming bed  and with Ear plugs fitted we slept right through until 0920 hr’s.  The day started as it went on, a long lay in; and waking up to a beautiful Blue sky with not a cloud in view.  We had this Sunday well planned ahead, doing bugger all but Swim, Kayak and bodyboard the day away; and stick to that plan we did.  Other than heading into Opotiki to get the Diesel Tax for the ‘Bug’ we had nothing planned but Swim, Kayak etc for the next couple of days; and just that we did!  The Beach House is a great hostel to be around while the sun is shining, a short drive north are a number of beaches to go and see; but to be honest where we were was the best if only because of the gear and company.  For the next stage of our trip we were heading out up towards the Coromandel Peninsula, with a short stop on the way.

Tags: Relaxation

 

Comments

1

Hi,can see you are both well and enjoying your selves,i am putting up a letter from Grandma these are her words as she has wrote it down on paper,(Hi Emma and Andy,First of all thank you for the gift you sent they are great, i like the bird kiwi, i have got it on my cabinet.well i am glad to here you are enjoying yourselves you are half way there now of your six months only 3 more to go,sorry you will not be here for Christmas. Russell will not be here untill January, but as long as you enjoy yourselves thats OK.I have been shopping with John today your mum useually takes me.
Hope you both well, i am keeping alright thanks to the tablets,i have done my Christmas shopping i was late this year.Well i hope you have a nice Christmas and Happy new Year,If you want to get drunk i will let you do that and all the best.
Have a good christmas and new Year and the next few months look after yourselves,thinking of you i keep asking your mum, she lets me know how you both are,Take care.
Lots of love Grandma
She wanted to put this up for Christmas for you,she is always asking of you both when i go down she never forgets,i see her or talk to her every day.
Christmas is not far away now, have done all my shopping just got to get them to the right people now,John sends his love he is working long hours at the moment with the chritmas rush you know how it is.
We have had some really cold weather this last few weeks, last night was at -5 not been that cold for a few years, i spoke to you sister (Andy) the other day )they have had nothing but rain this last 2 weeks, so you are missing anything really.
We have not had any offers on the house as yet but the slunp in the market is causing a few ripples over here, lets hope the new Year bring better things.
anyway i will go now hugs and kisses for your both,keep safe.
Lots of love MUM,JOHN,JESS,BEN>

  Mum Dec 14, 2007 8:05 PM

About em-and-andy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.