Existing Member?

What if?

Franz Josef – Hector.

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 15 November 2007 | Views [708]

Well off again, heading up to a Hostel that has been recommended to us a couple of times; The Old Slaughter House in a small township called Hector.  The drive up the highway towards the hostel was full of Em’ and I talking about the Glacier and thinking how we would return one day to go the whole way up by Helicopter and hike down, maybe on our ‘next visit’?  The drive up the west coast of New Zealand’s South Island is beautiful, again the weather was in our favour for this drive; clear Blue skies to show off the masses of coastline views.  Both Em’ and I were disappointed about this drive, we have still not found any Surf for Emma; and all the beaches along this section of New Zealand were pebble so no Kite buggying for me.  As with all New Zealand roads, we had an easy journey; but on this drive we did meet the worst ‘traffic jam’ to date over here!  We were the fifth car in a five car tail back, due to a farmer having to get his Cows across the road for milking; the ‘tailback’ was caused because he had to stop them crossing to allow us all past.  After this awful tailback, which we are sure will hit the TV traffic news at some point because there are never any delays here; we were let loose to tare up the highway.  On the way up to The Slaughter House we called in for a well deserved break at a small place known as ‘The Pancake Rocks’ formed over millions of years they look like huge layers of, well Pancakes!  It’s a short walk around this formation, but worth the stop to have a look; hard to imagine that ‘Mother Nature’ can form things as intricate as this and we just pass on by.  We arrived at The Slaughter House a little earlier than expected, so we decided to carry our own baggage up the 10 min’ bush walk to the hostel.  We now know why they offer to collect your bags for you on their 4x4 Quad, it maybe 10 min’ for some; but for us with our bags 15 – 20 min’ all up hill through the bush track.  The walk was worth it’ what an amazing place to stay let alone live in.  Again built by its owner, a real gent named David; it’s built into the side of the hill over looking a huge beach which goes on for miles in both directions.  Built out of the main building material over here, wood; which because of its location had to be delivered to the beach below and flown up by Helicopter.  We settled in very easily to this life style, easy going with the sunset happening outside on the balcony; and a bottle of beer in hand.  We had only been here for a couple of hours and we had booked another night already, this extra night allowed us time to head north to the ‘end of the road’ for a days hiking around the area.  Em’ and I headed out for a couple of walks through the ‘Rain forest’ to see some of ‘Mother Natures’ wonders she worked on the Limestone formations here, huge Arches carved through the Limestone rocks by the smallest of rivers; boosted by the large rainfalls here over millions of years.  After 4 – 5 hours of hiking, back to the hostel via that walk up the hill; not as bad this time only had to carry the beers this time.  Another lovely sunset again, with beer in one hand and camera in the other.  As all things good, they must end some time; and so off to Hanmer Springs the following day.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

About em-and-andy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.