Existing Member?

What if?

Southern Scenic drive 2nd half, Porpoise Bay – Dunedin

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 31 October 2007 | Views [601]

 

We had to move on again, it’s strange how you do get ‘itchy feet’ when you have been travelling around. We didn’t go far this time, only 20 km up the road (this was due in part to Andy miss reading the scale of our map); one night planned in a hostel to use as a base to move on the next day and view the various surfing potential. One night that was until we arrived at this renovated Victorian cottage set in ½ acre on beautiful gardens, finding out we had the whole house to ourselves for the night; complete with TV, Video, proper Washing machine and Tumble dryer. This is a weekend home for a family and it’s a hostel while they are in the city or away, and it shows; this place was not a hostel it was a home for us to really relax. We decided to stay for a couple of nights to really ‘chill out’ and relax together in the evenings, while exploring the area. We had a good day driving around the coastal area here but seeing yet more Sea Lions we decide it was a little safer for Em to surf on a ‘crowded’ beach (Sea lion love bits didn’t appeal) We headed off to Nugget Point, a place to view the wildlife it was described in the map we had. At first we couldn’t understand the write up, that was until we seen them about 100 mtr’s below us down the cliffs; loads of Fur Seals. We were walking back to the car when Em spotted a couple of Seals swimming below us, then one landed and started to call; and then from right below us a small baby Seal made its way out of the rocks towards its parent. We stood there watching the little thing shouting as loudly as it could, then as we watched Em noticed something move to one side; and then another. Then as we looked closer we could see that there below us was a whole group of Fur Seals, at least 20 – 25 + all hidden against the rocks; and like we did many people just walking on by oblivious to what was below them. A few stopped out of curiosity as to what had gripped our attention, some walked on and others asked ‘what ya looking at mate?’ We looked at this great view or over an hour, before we had head back to the hostel over the worst road we had encountered; gravel based, full of twist / turns and FULL of large potholes to avoid. By the end of this 20km road my hands were Red and started to swell, where I was gripping the steering wheel for dear life. Time to move on again, two days of total relaxation in a house to ourselves had to come to an end, we headed north to Dunedin; but we decided not to stay in Dunedin but instead to stay on the Otago Peninsular just outside the main City. Yet again we ‘landed on our feet’ as we say in the UK, McFarmer’s Backpackers was a great place; built again by the owner John overlooking the Port Chalmers bay towards Dunedin. We arrived at the hostel to be greeted by a Lamb, John then came over to introduce himself and show us the layout; all this while the Lamb stood outside the door calling for John. When John went to collect the children from school the poor Lamb was lost, running everywhere that John had been in order to find him, Em even got to pet the Lamb (something she had wanted to do since we arrived in NZ) That evening we drove along the coast road in the hope of seeing yet more Penguins, this time the very small Blue Penguin; when fully grown about 200 – 250mm (8” – 10”) After a very long, cold and windy wait, as the sun went down they arrived. At first only about 5, then another 5; then another 5 that sort of thing. It was now too dark to see them clearly, they were just shapes in the night with the odd glimpse of the white flashes from the underside of their wings. It may have been dark, but even in this light we knew they were there; they were loud. We don’t think we’ve heard calling like it, how can something so small can make so much noise; it was something we will never forget even with the limit photos.

This is to my sisters and brother-in-law, HA HA HA HA we’ve been to Cadburys world over here in New Zealand Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lots of free samples; NZ chocolate is good Andy loves the Moro bar (a bit like the Mars bar in the UK) Em just likes CHOCOLATE!

Still no joy with getting a Surf Board and Kite Buggy, we’ll have to wait until Christchurch in a few days. Time to head off again, were thinking maybe back to Lakes Pukaki & Tekapo again as they were beautiful and are only a slight detour?

Tags: On the Road

 

About em-and-andy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.