Existing Member?

Amy and Summers intrepid travels

Day 3- im going to kick your big arse!

CAMBODIA | Monday, 30 November 2009 | Views [813] | Comments [1]

Awoke this morning at 5am and got ready for a happier day out! We wanted to leave early to avoid the hottest part of the day, even though at 8 am it is stinking hot and we are already sweating!

Today we started of with a visit to the royal palace and silver pagoda.

It is actually the official residence of the King so parts are closed of to the public but what you do see is absolutely stunning! Beautiful Asian styled buildings and lush gardens. The silver pagoda is covered with over 5000 silver tiles weighing 1kg each, hence the name. Marble, gold and diamond decorated buddha can be seen and walls decorated with Khmer art. Luckily the Khmer rouge preserved most of the pagoda, although half of its contents where destroyed but what is left is spectacular.

When we were dropped of at the palace gates we were meet by a young boy and girl who were selling books and water. They try their hardest to sell their goods but we are already becoming accustomed to the beggers here. These two were a good sort though and when we told them we were from NZ the young boy said "kiaora bro" which was pretty awesome! I then think he confused us with aussies and said "put another shrimp on the barbie". They followed us for a while repeating these phrases and we could only laugh and smile!

Up next was whats known to foreigners as the Russian markets. A huge market place with tiny walkways filled with clothing, shoes, silk and scarves, gifts, dvds etc. We didn't spend to much time in there as we dont want to buy much until we leave but i will be definitely be going back esp to stock up on the Nikes!

Last stop for the day was Wat Phnom. Set on the only hill in the town. Many people come here to pray for good luck and success. Set in park like grounds you make a short climb up the stairs to the temple. On the way up you are meet with many beggars, many who are missing limbs and make sure you see this while placing their hat out saying "please $1 miss". Summer was busting for the loo and a young boy showed us the bathroom then demanded $1 when she came out! By then a crowd of kids had gathered begging for money and i gave my first beggar dollar to a boy of maybe 5 years. he had deformed arms and i couldn't resist this time. They also have birds in cages that they try sell to you to set free and say its good luck, the birds are actually trained to come back, just another scam in Cambodia! A girl of about 4 followed us for a long time trying to sell us birds in a cage while another girl pleaded with us to please buy her water. You really cant ignore it here and we are learning to just not even reply and carry on or you get stuck with them following you!

Apparently this is where you see lots of monkeys but we didn't see any, we did see a tree full of bats though that our driver pointed out as birds! 

Back at the guesthouse we had pancakes for lunch which are amazing and cost a dollar. The manager sat with us and tried our glasses on, looked through our photos on the camera and generally making us laugh. He said "you eat pancake i come back and make you funny!"

After Summer went to rest in the aircond room while i used the computer. A 12 year old who lives here with his family who work here sat next to me and asked me if i wanted a game of pool. He's a cocky little thing and as we are playing he says "im going to kick you arse", this then turns to ïm going to kick your bottom, you got big bottom, how much you weigh? 100kg? you fat, you eat to much? im going to kick your big arse!" I couldn't help but laugh. We were waiting for the fat comments but did not expect it from a kid! you can always rely on the kids to keep it honest! Later that night he commented to Summer and i that we so big the plane will go down! His family were a bit shocked and laughing but im sure it is what they are all thinking haha

We again watched a brilliant sunset and spent the rest of the evening chatting to guests and staff.

Tomorrow we hope to go to the orphanage and start our work there!

Comments

1

It is quite sad when you see the state of some of the people that are begging but think if you gave to everyone you would become one yourself soon.... As for the fat comments, I told you that they would come, you just laugh and say to yourself, just wait you little shit,lol!

  Renee Perry Dec 2, 2009 3:45 PM

About elusiv


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.