Existing Member?

A Time to Remember I dig my toes into the sand... The oceans looks like a thousand diamonds strewn across a blue blanket. I lean against the wind, pretend that I am weightless, and in this moment I am happy...

Rainbow Beach the gateway to Fraser Island

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 16 February 2009 | Views [803] | Comments [7]

Lake McKenzie... awesome! can't say much more than that!

Lake McKenzie... awesome! can't say much more than that!

So from Noosa we continued our journey up the coast to the small beach town of Rainbow. Our driver described it to us as a lot like Summer Bay (Home and Away) With a cafe and a Surf Club and a Caravan Park. He was spot on. There's not much else here besides the hostels and a few shops. But it is the gateway to Fraser Island and that is what everyine has come to see! An amazing expanse of sand and rainforest, with beautiful lakes and fresh water creeks.

We booked a day trip rather than the 3 day safaris most backpackers opt for. This meant we got a guide to tell us all about the island and it's history as well us all the flora and fauna on the island. We got lucky with our guide for the trip too as he was a 'real' local 5th generation from Rainbow and there wasn't a thing he couldn't tell us about Fraser Island. He really made the trip something to remember. We had the opportunity to get a birds eye view of the island with a plane ride. We opted out at first but as we could see a few other getting on the plane we made another snap decision to go for it. It was soooo worth it. We got to see the real scale of the place a see things we would never have been able to from the ground, it was truelly amazing!

One of the Highlights from Fraser was our visit to Lake McKenzie, a crystal clear lake surrounded by the purest silica sand. It was heaven, we swam in the lake and felt years younger as it has amazing cleansing properties. We had a guided walk through the rain forest and drank 100 year filtered water from the 'Silent' creek. Water so pure you can't hear the creek or even see the water! We had a first encounter with a real australian Dingo as well. She came for a cool down in the lake while we were swimming. We here in Rainbow for one more day and then we go the short distance up to Hervey Bay.

There is so much more to be done i just hope we don't run out of time. the aim is to get to Cairns but as you might have seen in the news they have been having pretty serious weather up north! We're keeping an eye on things and hopefully it will have cleared up by the time we get there!

I can't believe the snow you've beeen having at home i really do feel a million miles away from it!

Love to all and another update will follow.

Comments

1

Wow!
I'm more than likely just feeling very pregnant and emotional, but this last journal entry had me in tears! I can imagine just how beautiful it is there, and what amazing memories you'll have for ever... Can't tell you how happy I am that you're there, despite missing you lots! The plane ride looks and sounds fantastic... and I wish you could send home some of that special cleansing water- I could do with bathing in it for the next ten weeks ;o)

Keep up the good work - (smiling and generally being brilliant) Love you loads...

x x x x

  Amy & Sy Feb 16, 2009 8:19 PM

2

green with envy here!! it looks so good so do you both ... a trip of a lifetime!say thanks to Paul for looking after our little one .......... you both deserve this holiday ...go girl go enjoy !!!! miss you love you hugs mum and dad xxxx

  mum and dad Feb 16, 2009 9:04 PM

3

I'm fairly green too!!! It looks unbelievable, I'm so glad you're having such a good time - I like the animal photos, I'd like to see more animals (no snakes though). You look like you've got a nice tan now and your tattoo looks great too,I'm so happy you're happy, missing you though and can't wait to hear all about it properly......well and the slide show I hope you'll be organising?!

Carry on making us jealous, I look forward to your updates and photos everyday!

Lots of love Smelly xxx

  Lucy Feb 17, 2009 1:40 AM

4

I'm fairly green too!!! It looks unbelievable, I'm so glad you're having such a good time - I like the animal photos, I'd like to see more animals (no snakes though). You look like you've got a nice tan now and your tattoo looks great too,I'm so happy you're happy, missing you though and can't wait to hear all about it properly......well and the slide show I hope you'll be organising?!

Carry on making us jealous, I look forward to your updates and photos everyday!

Lots of love Smelly xxx

  Lucy Feb 17, 2009 1:54 AM

5

Hello Ellie,
Just been looking at some of your OZ photos - it looks amazing! I'm glad you are having a wonderful time, keep it up!
Love Meg x x

  Meg Feb 17, 2009 2:05 AM

6

Crickey Ellie ,you look like you are having a whale of a time !! Atta girl !! Enjoy while you can ! Your photos are brilliant.
Love Aunty Av and David xxx

  Aunty Av and David Feb 17, 2009 2:35 AM

7

Amazing Ellie, I too had a little blub at this latest entry!

Enjoy the last few weeks there, looking forward to seeing you when you get back

Lots of love xx

  Em Feb 18, 2009 9:33 PM

About ellie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.