Existing Member?

In Tanzania This is for all my lovely friends, especially those who have helped me funding this once-in-a-lifetime-trip to a far flung place. Of course, there's no OBLIGATION to read it but for those who are interested....

up and down

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 21 June 2008 | Views [602] | Comments [4]

Right, apologies for the long silence.... I have been trying to find my feet, my project, my money, my favourite beer and also the sun. This might be a consolation to you - it's freezing here. No sun (seen it maybe three times), heavy clouds, quite a bit of rain.... ok, yes, it's winter here but still, this is taking the mickey. I bet you'll all be tanned and full of sunshine and I will have to come home to get some warmth. Apparently it's the coldest ever anyone has Tanzania known to be at this time of year. But, hey-ho, it's still great and actually, when the sun shines it gets so humid that I quietly prefer it to be a bit on the cooler side.

Tsk, enuff of the weather. I think it has now decided that I'd be placed with the project I was originally assigned to (which is nice) and also with the orphanage. So, 3 days a week I;ll be doing some vocational training in the newly renovated coffee shop (many happy hours spent in there painting, cleaning, scrubbing ect), i.e. hygiene, food preparation, customer skills ect, and 3 days a week I'll be entertaining the kids at the orphanage. Which sometimes is very amusing but at other times nerve recking. Some of them are rough, bullies, pushy and a few of the older boys will try to feel us up. Which in it self is a bit strage but even more so as they look like 9 yr olds but are actually 14. But, hey, a stern look and a sharp 'hapana' (no) usually does the trick. It's sports day today, that should be fun...

In terms of settling in - usually it's really exciting. The smells, the views, the things, the food (grilled goat - wow, never thought I like it but it's fantastic!) - it's amazing. I've met a few Tanzanians (through couchsurfing and a friend) and being with them is just very nice and relaxed and good fun. And they will look after their mzungu (white) friends. Which, sadly, is necessary. No-one walks even the shortest distance after sun down. Massai guys will use their machete on anyone who not willingly parts with their goods. Or just because. So, you grab a taxi.  And you negotiate the price FIRST. Because, being a stupid mzungu, you might as well pay the mzungu tax - at least double the price. Yesterday on a dala-dala they tried to charge us just that. Everyone else paid 300 but he wanted 600 from us. Because the prices had gone up since last time. That's an hour ago. Fucking inflation, ey? We argued it and refused and got finally the correct change back but it's annoying. And being shouted at is annoying. 'Mzungu, mzungu!' Oh, really, I am white? I am so greatful having that pointed out to me 100 times a day.... Ah, I had a bad day yesterday. But, ok, I was hungover. Still, it's fucking annoying, yes, so it is. But, hey, this is not home and it's an eye-opener.

And - a circumcision is GBP 2.50, 250 pounds feed 42 children for a month in secondary school, 1.25 pays for a month's education ... that's an eye opener as well. It's hair raising and humbling. So, for the cost of 1 pint I could send two children to school here. Brrr. I might just try and keep that in mind and only drink every other day. And the lack of organisation and support is infuriating. There is money in the country, of course, but guess where that lingers.... a friend tried to change her visa and the 'fee' went up from 400 to 600 USD from one day to the next. A-ha.

Anyway, I'm off to enjoy my sports day with the kids now. Oh, and I'll try to change my ticket to come back 1 August. Yup, I'd lurve to stay on.

And tomorrow I'm off to Lake Natron, Flamingo watching and avoiding being rained on by lava.

So, watch this space and I'll be back for more stories (I hope)

Comments

1

Hi Ella, Keep writing, really enjoying reading your stories!!
xx and good luck Päivi

  Paivi Jun 24, 2008 9:41 PM

2

Hey Ella
Sounds like your 3rd year at uni will be a doddle after this experience - character building! You sound like you are doing great though - do you want to be year rep next year too??? Your negotiation/haggling/generally standing up for your rights skills will be fab when you get back. Flamingo watching sounds great - nearest I am getting is a bike ride today with Helen - but we did see lamas in a field last time we went!!
Take care - keep posting
Gill x

  Gill Jun 25, 2008 6:27 PM

3

Hi Ella,
hope the flamingoes were pink!!
sounds like you got them sussed to me. keep up with the arguing, and when you get back you can teach us all how to haggle. the weather here crap at the moment, got soaked on the bike ride with Gill, and didnt see the lama's this time. Hope you still enjoying it. take care and see you when you get back.
helen xx

  helen Jun 26, 2008 8:08 PM

4

mensch helga! ist mein englisch so schlecht oder frierst du wirklich in afrika? wenn einer eine reise macht, dann hat er was zu erzählen!
hier ist alles wie immer, nur merke ich jetzt, wie sehr es mich anstrengt. jetzt möchte ich gerne fragen: was soll nur aus mir werden, aber es ist keiner da, der das gefragt werden will. die frau, die ich pflege, ist wirklich ein bißchen wie die aprilhexe, sie besetzt meine gedanken...
pass auf dich auf, ich habe immer noch ein bißchen angst um dich! steffi

  steffi Jun 27, 2008 4:19 PM

About ella_out_there


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.