Existing Member?

Elephants, mangoes and ceylon tea: these are a few of my favourite things The adventures (and misadventures) of an Australian in exotic and spiritual Sri Lanka

Wli Waterfalls - What Wonderment!

GHANA | Monday, 3 November 2008 | Views [1780] | Comments [3]

The Volta region is only a stone’s throw away from Accra but the lush, dense greenery is a telltale sign that you’re out of the concrete jungle.

Weekends are when we stretch out our legs and relax. Or, more likely, cram our legs into the confines of an old rickety cramped tro-tro and journey for hours hoping for dear life that the driver will deliver us to our destination in one piece.

Two weeks ago, we scuttled off to Wli Waterfalls. After a late night journey, we crashed at Waterfall Lodge ready for an early morning walk. There were two waterfalls, and being the hardcore travellers that we are, we chose the four-hour round trip to the Upper Falls. We followed a narrow path which cut the vegetation of the mountain. Walking the untainted trail was serene, with trees all around and bright butterflies kissing our sweaty shoulders. The track was incredibly steep and unrelenting. Impossibly large tree roots blocked the way and rocks scraped our calves. Concentration was key to avoid falling into the cavernous valley to our left. When we weren't busy being exhausted, we noticed how amazing our surroundings actually were.

After losing several litres of water, it was an amazing feeling to reach the Upper falls. Stunning. Think Peter Andre dancing under a cascading waterfall, topless (duh!), in one of his cheesy 90s video clips. The falls were so beautiful that any fear of contracting Bilharzias was overridden by our desire to cool down. The sheer force of the water rendered it impossible to swim under the downpour but we waded as close as we could. The hard wind prickled our backs with drops, charging our skin. It was invigorating. You don’t get much closer to nature than that.

The descent was perhaps more trying than the incline. Our guide cut us some walking sticks with his machete to help us negotiate the trek. I am proud to say, I only fell on my bum once.

Relaxed and recharged after our weekend retreat, we reluctantly commenced the homebound leg. At one of the barriers, we were asked to produce our documents for the customs officials. I was the only one who had no form of identification whatsoever but I stayed relaxed. The guard said, “So I guess I’ll have to detain you,” and I replied, “Yeah I guess so… But maybe you could just detain me next time.” He laughed and agreed that he would detain me next time. Making light of the situation is often the best way to manage it. I didn’t  even have to bribe him – which was a plus!

Coming back into Accra, the sky was dim and dusty. We heard some faint screeching that was getting louder and louder, until we looked up and saw some small batman-shaped objects whizzing overhead… bats… and a lot of them. There were literally thousands flying low and chattering disgustingly. Having skimped on a rabies injection, I closed the car window tightly.

Comments

1

Thank you darling for the next "episode" I have been so anxiously waiting. It's like I am reading a great book and I don't want to put it down. I hope you were quick enough to shut the windows. Stay safe and well.
Love you heaps...aunty Mena and the rest of the family. xxx

  Mena Librandi Nov 4, 2008 1:46 PM

2

Elise! I agree with Mena, it is like reading a book. I certainly think you should put all your blog/diary entries into some form of book. It would make for such wonderful reading.

All the best!
With love
A

  Alice McKinnon Nov 5, 2008 4:46 PM

3

I LOVE WHAT I AM SEEING IN STORY BY

  PABLO Nov 18, 2009 9:39 PM

About elise_beacom


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.